VMware Cloud Community
cjbeckwith
Contributor
Contributor

Warning while installing vCenter on Windows 2008 with SQL 2008 - SQL remote connections

I am doing some testing with Windows 2008/SQL 2008, and during the installation I received the following popup warning after setting the DSN for my vCenter database

Please configure SQL Server remote connections to use both TCP/IP and Named Pipes. This can be done using Microsoft SQL Server Surface Area Configuration Tool, by selecting the database instance and navigating to database engines/remote connection options.

In my installation, I do not have the Surface Area Configuration Tool. I will openly admit I am not a SQL DBA. What does this warning mean, how can I correct it in SQL 2008 or is it benign?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ask your DBA to allow both TCP/IP and NamedPipes Connection for your SQL-Server. It's no big deal to do it.

Regards

Michael Haverbeck

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
cjbeckwith
Contributor
Contributor

This is on a dev box that I am performing testing on. I am the "DBA" in this instance...

I used the SQL Server Configuration Tool and Enabled both TCP/IP and Named Pipes. Verified they are set to port 1433 but I still get the error. That being said, when I click OK I proceed to the next step and the installation completes successfully. I simply would like to know if this is a "friendly reminder" at this point or if I am going to run into issues down the line.

Thank you for the reply!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

If the Microsoft SQL Server database has TCP/IP disabled and the dynamic ports are not set, the JDBC connection remains closed. This causes the vCenter Server statistics to malfunction. You can configure the server TCP/IP for JDBC.

This procedure applies to remote Microsoft SQL Server database servers. You can skip this procedure if your database is local.

Procedure-

1. Start the SQL Server Configuration Manager by selecting Start > All Programs > Microsoft SQL Server > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager.

2. Select SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for <Instance name>.

3. Enable TCP/IP.

4. Open TCP/IP Properties.

5. On the Protocol tab, make the following selections.

• Enabled: Yes

• Listen All: Yes

• Keep Alive: 30000

6. On the IP Addresses tab, make the following selections.

• Active: Yes

• TCP Dynamic Ports: 0

7. Restart the SQL Server service from SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Services.

8. Start the SQL Server Browser service from SQL Server Configuration Manager > SQL Server Services.

If you have followed the above steps and still get the warning message (it's benign), please continue with the installation.

Thanks.

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

0 Kudos
bigDavefromTren
Contributor
Contributor

My default install of SQL 2008 has Named Pipes disabled; all I have to do is enable it? TCP/IP was already enabled. What exactly does this setting do?

0 Kudos
ChrisMarks
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same problem today when trying to install vCenter Server, and Google brought me here most often. It seems that warning box popping up is a known issue, the workaround for which is to ignore the warning. I assume that if one were to follow ragarwal's instructions, I assume one would be fine (disclaimer: I'm not a DBA, vExpert, or VMware certified, it's my guess, so take it with a healthy dose of skepticism). The issue is documented in the vCenter Server 4.0 update 2 release notes:

Hopefully other folks will see this post and not pound their heads on the wall for half of a day like I did. Also, it serves as a reminder to always read the release notes! Smiley Happy

For reference, I am trying to install the vCenter Server (4.0 update 2) in a Windows Server 2008 64-bit Enterprise Edition SP2 VM (on ESX 3.5), with MS SQL Server 2008 64-bit in the same VM.

Regards, Chris
0 Kudos
arkturas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Chis - there was certainly less head banging. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
BulbFresh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, has anyone got this working through a scripted install?

I have the following switches so far but it still asks for user input on this TCP/IP and Named Pipes info message.

c:\vmware-vcserver.exe /q /s /w /L1033 /v" /qr Username=*** CompanyName=*** DB_Server_Type=Custom DB_DSN=*** DB_Username=*** DB_Password=***

Any thoughts on how to send a nice OK during install when this message appears?

Thanks.

0 Kudos