VMware Cloud Community
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whats the effect of removing the vCenter and it's database

I have two ESX 3.5.0 u2 with SAN connection and one 3.0.2 with local HDD only. The vCenter server was installed on Norwgian locale, witch has led to problems with the update manager plugin. I have reisntalled the vCenter server on a VM with english locale, but I used the same databese. I have come to the conclution that I have to remove the database and start over. On that regard I have two questions:

1:

When I installed the update management plugin it detected the old update database, but I did not choose to wipe it and start over for fear that it would also wipe the rest of the database. I felt the info presentet from the install wizard was a bit fuzzy. Will the wizard only reset the database for the update manager or will it delete everything?

2:

If I have to remove the vCenter server database completely and uninstall/reinstall the vCenter Server, what will happen to the two ESX servers with SAN connection? They both have VM's running from the SAN. Will they come in any sort of conflict or start writing over each others files? Or will they continue with the file locks they already have and not mess things up? Some of the VM's that is running on the ESX servers must not stop or have a disk failure.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes remove it, the update DB is not a part of vCenter DB. You can install the Update Manager on a seperate VM if you like. Have not done that myself but have seen some threds about installing it on a seperate VM. Choose custom install and provide information to your vCenter server etc.

-Pål-André

-Pål-André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

1. If you're gona install a new vCenter db then install Update Manager from scratch.

2. The VM's on the ESX servers will keep running as nothing happend (you can connect to the ESX servers with VC client and manage your servers while setting up a new VC)

-Pål-André

-Pål-André
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

-Pål-André
0 Kudos
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. If you're gona install a new vCenter db then install Update Manager from scratch.

So it is possible to just remove the update manager portion of the DB and not the vCenter server

Its not that there is so much special configuration on the vcenter server, but I would like to preserve the performance history.

0 Kudos
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes remove it, the update DB is not a part of vCenter DB. You can install the Update Manager on a seperate VM if you like. Have not done that myself but have seen some threds about installing it on a seperate VM. Choose custom install and provide information to your vCenter server etc.

-Pål-André

-Pål-André
0 Kudos
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Takker og bukker.

0 Kudos
penghaug
Enthusiast
Enthusiast