VMware Cloud Community
chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

datastore migration failed - now there are two vm's - one powered off??

I was migrating a fw vm's to different datastores when a failure happened. They may have been canceled or it may have been the fact that our vcenter server was rebooted. I'm not sure if that would cause this issue.

Anyway, now, two of the vm's show two copies - one powered on and one is off. The one that is off is on datastore b and the powered on vm is on datastore a. The weird thing is, datastore b (powered off vm) shows that is where the files are while the powered on vm is on a. When I browse datastore a I can't find any files..it just hangs. I've googled but am stuck.

See screen shots for more details. Thanks in advance!

edit: Both datastores finally loaded. They both show identical files: vmdk,vmfx, vmsd etc for both vm's on both datastores.This is weird!

edit 2: Neither vm, on or off, will power up/off or migrate or remove from inventory. Both are "pinging" and up which is good though.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I figured this out. I ssh'd into the host the vm was on (both vm's were on the same hosts). To get it to power off I ran the following command "esxcli vm process kill --type=soft --world-id=xxxxx.

That got the vm to shut down. The VM with the same name already powered off then showed as "orphaned." I removed the orphaned vm from inventory, the other vm automatically booted ack up, then I deleted the orphaned vm from the 2nd datastore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chrisoxy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I figured this out. I ssh'd into the host the vm was on (both vm's were on the same hosts). To get it to power off I ran the following command "esxcli vm process kill --type=soft --world-id=xxxxx.

That got the vm to shut down. The VM with the same name already powered off then showed as "orphaned." I removed the orphaned vm from inventory, the other vm automatically booted ack up, then I deleted the orphaned vm from the 2nd datastore.

0 Kudos