VMware Cloud Community
lyngsie08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 4 to 4.1 - easy way?

Hi,

I'm going to move my 5 ESX hosts from a vCenter 4.0 to a vCenter 4.1. This means a fresh Windows OS 64 bit install on the same physical server as 4.0. I don't care to start over on a new vCenter database, and have setup a VM for this.

So my question is: can I disconnect the 5 hosts keeping the VMs running (now on standalone ESX hosts and of course no vMotion etc.), reinstall the physical server with vCenter 4.1, and then connect all 5 hosts again still with all VMs running? Any caveats I should consider other than I need to upgrade the hosts when they have been moved to vCenter 4.1?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

So my question is: can I disconnect the 5 hosts keeping the VMs running (now on standalone ESX hosts and of course no vMotion etc.),

Yes

reinstall the physical server with vCenter 4.1, and then connect all 5 hosts again still with all VMs running?

Yes

Any caveats I should consider other than I need to upgrade the hosts when they have been moved to vCenter 4.1?

If you start with new DB you will loos some of the settings such as :

• vCenter rights
  • templates (convert them to VM before vCenter resinstallation)
  • all advance settings (in a cluster, DRS etc) so if you have any advance settings set - write them down
  • all custom DRS rules and settings
  • customization templates
  • if you have DV switches - you will no be able to manipulate DVswitch configuration without vCenter server

after hosts upgrade, upgrade vmware tools on VM's

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
deemee1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello lyngsie08

What is your DB?

Process goes as upgarading vcenter server first and then the host.On upgrading vcenter server,never try to change any settings on host/VM by connecting your vSphere client directly to host...

Regards

Deemee1988

Nxt Gen Guy
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

So my question is: can I disconnect the 5 hosts keeping the VMs running (now on standalone ESX hosts and of course no vMotion etc.),

Yes

reinstall the physical server with vCenter 4.1, and then connect all 5 hosts again still with all VMs running?

Yes

Any caveats I should consider other than I need to upgrade the hosts when they have been moved to vCenter 4.1?

If you start with new DB you will loos some of the settings such as :

• vCenter rights
  • templates (convert them to VM before vCenter resinstallation)
  • all advance settings (in a cluster, DRS etc) so if you have any advance settings set - write them down
  • all custom DRS rules and settings
  • customization templates
  • if you have DV switches - you will no be able to manipulate DVswitch configuration without vCenter server

after hosts upgrade, upgrade vmware tools on VM's

0 Kudos
lyngsie08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for both replies.

I use a SQL 2005 Std. DB, and considering all the settings I have to set again using a new DB, I'm now considering reusing the DB Smiley Happy

So when I install vCenter 4.1 is it possible to point to an existing database, even though it holds information that is no usable right away (i.e. the 5 ESX hosts has not been connected yet).

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

I use a SQL 2005 Std. DB, and considering all the settings I have to set again using a new DB, I'm now considering reusing the DB Smiley Happy

good choice Smiley Happy

So when I install vCenter 4.1 is it possible to point to an existing database, even though it holds information that is no usable right away (i.e. the 5 ESX hosts has not been connected yet).

Yes, it is possible, before installation you have to configure ODBC on OS which will point out to old DB.

Where do you have vCenter DB running - is it on this same server where vCenter is installed or it's a separate server ?

0 Kudos
lyngsie08
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fortunately the DB is on a separate server only serving this single vCenter DB, so it seems I'm good to go later today Smiley Happy

I truly appreciate this community and the clear and fast answers. Thanks.

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Fortunately the DB is on a separate server only serving this single vCenter DB, so it seems I'm good to go later today Smiley Happy

goodie Smiley Happy

Just follow upgrade procedure and basically after upgrade you will have to do only simple post migration tasks (no need to reconenct hosts, restore certificates etc)