VMware Cloud Community
G_Dom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move VM from vSphere to ESX 3.5?

We have a number of older ESX 3.5 Hosts that will not support vSphere. One idea that we are floating around is to 'retire' these hosts from active service, but to keep them at a secondary site for a cheap DR solution, the idea being that if we had an issue in primary Data Center we could move critical VMs to the 'backup' site. The question is; will this be possible if we upgrade our Production environemnt to vSphere? We assume that it would be impossible to do a hot move from vSphere to ESX 3.5, but would it be possible to migrate a powered-down VM 'backwards'?

Thanks,

gary

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as long as all your vmotion requirements are met, you can live migrate between ESX4 and ESX3.5 Hosts. I would leave the tools out of date and the virtual hardware set at v.4 until your entire environment is on vSphere4

Also, check out VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager if you haven't seen it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as long as all your vmotion requirements are met, you can live migrate between ESX4 and ESX3.5 Hosts. I would leave the tools out of date and the virtual hardware set at v.4 until your entire environment is on vSphere4

Also, check out VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager if you haven't seen it.

0 Kudos
G_Dom
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So we can migrate both directions? In this case, live migrations would not be possible because of CPU incompatability between the hosts, but off-line migrations would suffice.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

but would it be possible to migrate a powered-down VM 'backwards'?

Yes, but you must use virtual hardware v4 (not v7 that is not supported on ESX 3.x).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro