VMware Cloud Community
doubledrat
Contributor
Contributor

optimum memory configuration

Hi

sorry if this has been answered before, but I've not been able to find it.

What's the recommendation for the optimum memory configuration for your VMs. I'm specifically referring to the relationship between the memory allocated to the VM, the VM's pagefile (windows) or swapfile (linux) and VSphere's swapfile.

It seems silly to me to have the VM paging to disk (handled by vsphere) when vsphere is managing it's own memory to its swapfile.

Would it be better to tell the VM it has more memory and turn off its own pagefile and let vmware manage it? Or does this result in a poorer performance?

I'm particularly interested in this because I'm trying to minimise the size of the vmdk so I can hold more snapshots. I've moved vsphere's swapfile to another datastore, but I still have several gigs per VM of pagefile within the vmdk.

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

At one time we did some testing within our VDI machines of removing the page file and we ended up running into all kinds of issues. We ended up putting them back and just lowered the size. This testing was done on Windows XP.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
doubledrat
Contributor
Contributor

hi. thanks for the reply. what size pagefile did you end up with? did you increase the VM allocated memory to avoid usage of the pagefile?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We have different sized page files for different pools but our amount of memory is based on average usage with some extra allowed for spikes.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos