VMware Cloud Community
holtek
Contributor
Contributor

Custom splash screen in VMA console?

I was wondering if there was a way to add some content to the console screen displayed by VMA? I have added web administration to my VMA and would like to show a link to the start page.  I happened upon a curious script file "/usr/sbin/vma-welcome-screen.sh" that looks promising:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Copyright (c) 2009 VMware, Inc.  All rights reserved subject to the terms of the
# vSphere Management Assistant (vMA) End User License Agreement.
#

# To customize the splashscreen, copy the contents of this file /etc/vmware/appliance-welcome-screen.sh and
# modify it according to the appliance.
VMA_PRODUCT="vSphere Management Assistant"
VMA_DOC_URL="http://www.vmware.com/go/vma"

VMA_PRODUCT_SHORTNAME="vMA"
VMA_VERSION=`grep ${VMA_PRODUCT_SHORTNAME} /etc/vma-release  | grep BUILD | cut -d' ' -f2,2`
VMA_TITLE="${INIT_LOC}Welcome to ${BOLD_CYAN}${VMA_PRODUCT}${NORMAL} version ${VMA_VERSION}"
VMA_USER="vi-admin"

cat <<EOF

$VMA_TITLE

Your ${VMA_PRODUCT} is configured properly.

To get direct shell access, you may press Alt-F2 to switch to
virtual terminal where you may log in as ${BOLD_RED}${VMA_USER}${NORMAL}. The user
${BOLD_RED}${VMA_USER}${NORMAL} is the administrative user of vSphere Management Assistant.
To return to this screen press Alt-F1.

You can also ssh to ${BOLD_WHITE}${HOSTNAME}${NORMAL} or ${BOLD_WHITE}${IPADDR}${NORMAL}
and login as ${BOLD_RED}${VMA_USER}${NORMAL}.

For more information see the online documentation at

${VMA_DOC_URL}

EOF

Does anyone know if this is supposed to let me modify the VMA console screen? If not, does anyone know if it is possible to add content to the console screen by some other method?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

That script just provides a sample output that you could use as your splash screen. If you wish to actually modify the actual splash screen for vMA 5.x, take a look at this blog post which has all the details http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/06/how-to-change-splash-screen-in-vma.html

holtek
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for the response. That was definitely what I was  looking for. I accidentally clicked on "helpful" instead of "correct" answer and can't find any way to change my mind. You ROCK regardless.

0 Kudos
holtek
Contributor
Contributor

For any of you following this thread, I was indeed able to modify the welcome screen following lamw's suggestion. Just edit "welcometext" in </opt/vmware/etc/isv> and you're good to go.

I know some of you will be horrified that I am using webmin for remote administration, but most of my end-users just shut down when you start talking about getting into a bash prompt. Web-based shell access is provided with a neat package called "shellinabox".

I would like to create custom webmin modules for vMa and poweralert some day. If ever find the time, I'll update this post.

2070188.png

0 Kudos