VMware {code} Community
SThomasJulian
Contributor
Contributor

*Need not be set

In vSphere web services javadocs for many of the ManagedObject properties it is given that this property need not be set.What does that mean?

If i want to set the property in vSphere client, How can i do that?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

"Need not be set" corresponds to that this property is not mandatory to set in order to invoke an API or sending a request to the server. This is basically an optional parameter. For properties which are not marked optional, we need to set those in order to complete the SOAP request.

Regarding you other query, can you please be more elaborative when you say that you want to set the property in vSphere client. What do you exactly mean by this?

0 Kudos
SThomasJulian
Contributor
Contributor

we need to set those in order to complete the SOAP request.

My question is how can i set that property and where i need to set that?

what i meant to ask was whether that property can be configured using VMware Infrastructure client?.

I am trying to retrieve the HBA status using storageStatusInfo property of HostHardwareStatusInfo DataObject.But i am getting a null value.

I think this property is not being set so i was not able to get that.What i have to do to get the status of the HBA?

Looking forward to your reply.

0 Kudos
SThomasJulian
Contributor
Contributor

I hope that my question is clear.

If you still don't understand what i am asking for then please let me know.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The vSphere APIs exposure of host hardware health is a fairly small sub-set of what is available via the CIM APIs. Not sure, but probably the value is not available on the host, hence its is shown as Unset.

Hence, for retrieving the HBA status, using CIM APIs would help you.

For more details please refer http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/cim-sdk/

Hope this helps.