VMware {code} Community
davkul
Contributor
Contributor

orphan connects to ESX Server web service?

I have an application that uses the VI SDK to connect to the web service in ESX Server. The application caches a few of the Java objects as a way of caching the connection because the application has to reconnect to the web service each time it runs. The caching is being done to avoid some of the

connection time overhead. These objects are being cached to a temp file. The application no longer calls logout() so that the cached objects can be used. There are certain error conditions that occur which result in the temp file being deleted. In this case, login() is called again and a new temp file is created. Since I am no longer calling logout() are there some orphan connections being left at the ESX Server? If so, what are the side effects? If they are orphaned are they eventually timed out? I'm thinking that I probably should call logout() before deleting this temp file (and creating a new connection from scratch), but I'd like to find out if that's really necessary.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
davkul
Contributor
Contributor

Also, service mgmt-vmware status simply gives a running or not status. Is there a way to get more information about the state of the web service?

0 Kudos