VMware Cloud Community
shane_presley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Array controller failover (Dell md3020i, esxi5) and VAAI

We're running 6 esxi 5.1 hosts that use vmfs5 storage provided via iscsi from a dual-controller Dell md3020i.  Our load is about 900 IOPs, but can spike to 1800 IOPs.

During times of high load, our virtual disks failover from one controller to the other.  This doesn't create downtime, but does produce some problems about virtual disk balancing across the controllers.  We opened a case with Dell, and they see Ancient IO errors coming from the esxi hosts.  Dell is investigating a possible firmware upgrade (not yet released), and also suggesting a hard drive firmware upgrade.  They also mentioned we may be nearing the capacity of the array (in terms of IOPs).

We also opened a VMware support case.  They are recommending we disable VAAI. (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103366...).  However everything I've read talks about the performance benefits of VAAI, and our array officially supports it.  I ran that suggestion by Dell, and they disagree -- recommending we keep VAAI enabled.

So we're stuck with what to do next.  Any community suggestions, about VAAI or other changes to help with our array failover issue?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think VAAI is an issue. It might due to overloading on disk due to high IOs , it is moving to other controller. Please update the firmware..

Do you have log snippets pointing to ancient IOs which shows issues with ESXi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware vSphere Client for iPad to VMware vSphere™ Storage

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think VAAI is an issue. It might due to overloading on disk due to high IOs , it is moving to other controller. Please update the firmware..

Do you have log snippets pointing to ancient IOs which shows issues with ESXi

0 Kudos
shane_presley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dell confirmed this is a firmware bug (on the controller).  They don't have a fix out yet, but it's scheduled for August.

0 Kudos