VMware Cloud Community
westcoaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking for affordable SMB storage solution

Hi,

I work at a law firm that currently has 1 ESXi 5 host (Dell T310 server). I am looking to build a redundant solution in order to eliminate all single points of failure. While I am planning to get 2 HP ML360 servers and use ESXi FT and HA to protect the hosts and guests (now available in the Standard Acceleration Kit), I'm not sure what to do about the storage. Currently I am using the server's internal SATA disks, and I know that I will need shared storage to make FT and HA work. If I buy a single SAN, it still represents a single point of failure, even if it has dual controllers etc. Ideally I would have 2 SANs that replicate themselves, but that seems to require significantly more expensive hardware ($30,000+ per SAN device). I am trying to work a budget of about $40,000 total, or about $15 - 20k for storage.

Can anyone recommend a low-cost, redundant SAN configuration? I am considering using the VMware Virtual Storage Appliance, but so far I haven't been able to get it installed in my testing environment (always get errors during the installation). The VSA seems to fit my requirements, if I can ever get it tested. Also, being able to backup the SAN directly would be nice (ie. to USB drive), otherwise I will continue using software to backup the hosts.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Consider changing your DL360's to DL380's and then add local storeage to both then install the VSA and have it use the local storage as Shared.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

This is not a bad idea.

That being said, I think you'll find that a decent storage array (Almost anything from EMC, NetApp, Nexenta (nod to Tom), Dell, etc) will be far more reliable than any regular host, and almost none of them have a single point of failure.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Agreed, but there is no need to nod to me regarding Nextenta any more Matt, I am back to being independent Smiley Happy,   all those arrays are still in greater than $10000 range though.

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

True, but he said 15-20K for storage, which could easily get him a dual controller VNXe.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
westcoaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Matt and Tom for you input. I will look into the brands you have mentioned to see if they will work.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Abd a good dual headed Nextena box Smiley Wink

but I also looked at the requirement to save costs too.

NetAppSmallBusi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I work for NetApp.  We've come out with the FAS2220 recently which starts under $10K.

I'd be glad to discuss if you'd like.

thanks!

0 Kudos