VMware Cloud Community
cnetbuild1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

svmotion migration between block sizes

Suppose I have a VM with a 300GB hard drive on a datastore with 2MB block size. Then, suppose I try to svmotion migrate that VM to datastore with 1MB block size. What will happen? Will it just produce an error or will it screw up the VM?

I am running vCenter4 and ESX 3.5 hosts.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just because I wanted to see what the error said I did a cold migration of a 300 GB vmdk to a 1 MB blocksize datastore. Strange enough all the validation came back as succeeded and then after clicking next (when it starts the file copy) it gave me the error regarding the block size. The error went something like this file test/test.vmdk is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore 'datastore name'.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It will produce an error and the svmotion will not occur -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
binoche
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

have you seen any error? this svmotion should be success

binoche, VMware VCP, Cisco CCNA

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have - when the attempt to make a 300 GB virtual disk on a VMFS datastore created with 1 NB block size will error out - because the largest virtual disk you can have on a VMFS datastore with 1 MB block size is 256 GB

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just because I wanted to see what the error said I did a cold migration of a 300 GB vmdk to a 1 MB blocksize datastore. Strange enough all the validation came back as succeeded and then after clicking next (when it starts the file copy) it gave me the error regarding the block size. The error went something like this file test/test.vmdk is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore 'datastore name'.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos