VMware Cloud Community
ahcomput
Contributor
Contributor

5.5 U1 Install not seeing existing esxi installation

I'm attempting to upgrade from 5.5 build 1331820 to 5.5 U1 using the vmware custom Cisco iso.

Booting w/ the custom iso on first attempt I can choose "update" rather than install and at 24% of install, I receive: "Directory not empty: '/vmfs/volumes/586..../state.xxx.

I followed a vmware kb article to empty the contents of this directory and attempted update a second time.

Second go I receive a similar message referencing a different state.x directory.  Again I empty this folder and attempt update again.

On third round, I am only presented with the option to "Install" esxi, and not "update".  Clicking on view details for the volume where esxi is installed, the installer reports no esxi found on volume.

Cancelling the boot from iso and restarting with the server drive, loads esxi to my existing version and all seems fine.

I am concerned about proceeding with the "install" option instead of the update option I was expecting and what affect this will have.

Any help is appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Cause

This issue occurs when the /bootbank/state.XXXXXXXX directory is not empty.

Resolution

To resolve this issue, ensure the /bootbank/state.XXXXXXXX directory is empty.

To ensure the /bootbank/state.XXXXXXXX directory is empty:

1. Log in to the ESXi Management console.
  2. Run the command:

cd /var/log
  3. Using the grep command, find state.XXXXXXX and its corresponding directory within the vua.log file (replace XXXXXXX with the number indicated in the error)

For example:
    grep state.31110473 vua.log
  4. Run these commands:

cd /bootbank/
    run ls -l

Note: The preceding commands may also be required on /altbootbank because this directory can also hold state.XXXXXXX.
  5. Run this command to change directory to state.XXXXXXX directory indicated in the /var/log/vua.log file:

cd state.XXXXXXX
    For example:

cd state.31110473
  6. Run this command:

run ls -lYou see an output similar to:

-rwx------ 1 root root 18297 Jan 10 2011 local.tgz
  7. Note the name of the file within the state.XXXXXXX directory. For example, local.tgz.
  8. Run this command to move the file up one directory level:

mv file_name ../
    Where file_name is the name of the file noted in Step 7.

For example:

mv local.tgz ../
  9. In vCenter Server, remediate the host.

1. Select the ESXi host.
    2. Click the Update Manager tab.
    3. Click Remediate.
0 Kudos
ahcomput
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  This is the KB article I followed to get past the "directory not empty message".  To clarify my issue:

After performing the steps in the kb article, I am no longer presented with the option to update my esxi host.  I can only choose "Install".  The custom iso is no longer seeing my existing installation and allowing me to choose update.

0 Kudos