VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host Upgrade

I have 3 IBM host in my cluster currently and I am going to retire one of them and get a new one.  I know that the Proc needs to be compatible with what I have now.   Are there any other considerations that i need to look at ?  We are swithcing hardware vendors so this will be a different box.  Any comments and suggestions are welcome.  thanks

Perry

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The CPU should not matter that much. Depending on the hosts you could enable EVC for the cluster.

If you are using HA, make sure you are aware of possible impacts with admission control if the new host has a different amount of memory. See HA Deepdive » Yellow Bricks for details.

André

prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well this new host will have twice as much memory as the current ones and i will upgrade one of the others to match but teh third (and oldest) is already maxxed out at 48 GB.  Is this an uissue?

0 Kudos
tyagiatulkumar
Contributor
Contributor

We hope you have completed your HOST update process successfully.

Let us know if you have any issues?

Atul Kr. Tyagi
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, it should not cause issues. You should only be aware that "Unbalanced clusters” (you may search for this in the article) may not be able to make use of all their host's resources.

André

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got it!!  thanks for teh quick reply!!  Much appreciated!.

0 Kudos