VMware Cloud Community
Shnitzel
Contributor
Contributor

How do I modify partition of vSphere host after completing setup?

Hi,

My 1st vSphere host was setup using default partition settings from the GUI wizard. Just read some articles relating to best practices in host partitioning.

Firstly, is repartitioning or modifying partitions of vSphere host possible after you have completed the whole setup process? If so, then how do I safely do this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't believe you can repartition your hosts after you do the install which is why it is so important to build them out correctly. It would be cleaner and probably less headaches down the road to just rebuild the host with the correct partiotions.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you would need to reinstall

Jose B Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
Shnitzel
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks guys for the clarification on this.

Been preparing myself on this eventuality so migrated my VMs to my 2nd host then off we go with the reinstallation, this time with the BP partitioning.

Cheers...

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If I'm using Update Manager to create an ESX host upgrade baseline and update all my hosts via Update Manager how can I modify the default ESX partition scheme? I know I can do this when I run a manual install but what about via an Update Manager Host upgrade? Does it just use the exisiting partitioning?

Thx

0 Kudos