VMware Cloud Community
Richie67000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Intéret de séparer les services de vSphere 5.5?

Bonjour,

J'ai une question auquel j'aurai aimé avoir des réponses.

Je souhaites passer de vSphere 5.0 vers vSphere 5.5. J'ai vu qu'il été possible de séparer les rôles (SSO, Web Client, vSphere Server etc) sur différentes machines.

Quels sont les avantages et inconvénients de faire ça??

Cordialement

Richie

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Saju_C
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have translated the text from French to English. Hope I understood the question correctly

There are several limitations with the simple installer. These include the following:

1. Simple install deploys vCenter Server to the C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\ directory with no

option to change the destination folder. Many customers prefer to install their applications to a volume other

than the system volume.

2. Simple install provides only the vCenter Single Sign-On deployment option of “vCenter Single Sign-On for

your first vCenter Server.” Therefore it cannot be used for additional vCenter servers.

Use cases for using the custom install option instead of the simple install option are as follows:

1. To distribute vCenter Server components across multiple virtual machines

2. To change the destination folder of a given component

3. To deploy multiple vCenter servers, extending the vsphere.local security domain

This is based on http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vcenter/VMware-vCenter-Server-5.5-Technical-Whitepaper.pdf 

The disadvantage will be related to managing multiple VM's.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Saju_C
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have translated the text from French to English. Hope I understood the question correctly

There are several limitations with the simple installer. These include the following:

1. Simple install deploys vCenter Server to the C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\ directory with no

option to change the destination folder. Many customers prefer to install their applications to a volume other

than the system volume.

2. Simple install provides only the vCenter Single Sign-On deployment option of “vCenter Single Sign-On for

your first vCenter Server.” Therefore it cannot be used for additional vCenter servers.

Use cases for using the custom install option instead of the simple install option are as follows:

1. To distribute vCenter Server components across multiple virtual machines

2. To change the destination folder of a given component

3. To deploy multiple vCenter servers, extending the vsphere.local security domain

This is based on http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vcenter/VMware-vCenter-Server-5.5-Technical-Whitepaper.pdf 

The disadvantage will be related to managing multiple VM's.

TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello, I have a question which I wish I had answers. I would go from vSphere 5.0 to vSphere 5.5. I saw that it was possible to separate the roles (SSO Web Client, the vSphere Server etc.) on different machines. What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? cordially

0 Kudos