VMware Cloud Community
SENNAF1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Run ESX 4.1 host in vCenter 5.0

Hello all,  I have a quick simple question.   I am currently running vCenter 4.1 and ESX hosts 4.1 U1.  I need to upgrade to ESX 4.1 U2.   I know I need to upgrade my vCenter to match my ESX host version but I was thinking of killing 2 birds with one stone.   I have licensing for vCenter and ESX 5.0 but I am scheduled to upgrade next year.   Since I have to upgrade my vCenter anyway can I just go to version 5.0 and run my ESX host on v 4.1 U1 without any loss of functionality?

I would do the entire upgrade at once but the business needs me to complete testing first so upgrading the host is not an option at this time.

Thanks for your help with this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeff9565
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

You shouldn't lose any type of functionality with what you've described.  Keep in mind though that in a year, you will still have to patch vCenter to upgrade it to the latest 5.x version.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jeff9565
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

You shouldn't lose any type of functionality with what you've described.  Keep in mind though that in a year, you will still have to patch vCenter to upgrade it to the latest 5.x version.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Managing ESX/ESXi 4.1 U1 with vCenter 5.0/5.0U1 is supported configuration. You wont be losing anu functionality.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind