VMware Cloud Community
Buechen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

languages in vSphere and vCenter

Hallo folks,

as I installed the vCenter and vSphere Client I had to found out there is no prompt for languages. I am from Germany and when I finished installing vShpere on German Windows 2003 Server OS everything was in German (terrible). How does these products recognise to install in German? Local OS version, regional settings (which ones exactly)?

However, now I read in description for vSphere und ESX 4.0 there is a commandline option to change this:

vpxClient -locale en_US

First, how do I execute this command, because I have no experience with CLI?

Second, does it fix the language settings for every client who will connect in future and vCenter itself?

Third, does this fix the language setting within the vSphere Client for every texts, because I also saw the phenomena, that most text is in English, but the task description and lLogonscreen of vSphere is in German.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

In Windows, you can Start -> Run the following command:

vpxClient.exe -locale -en-US

Running vpxClient.exe in Start -> Run would be the equivalent of double-clicking the shortcut on the desktop or Start Menu. You can also create a shortcut with these switches included, or modify the one already there.

Second, does it fix the language settings for every client who will connect in future and vCenter itself?

Each client would need to launch the app with the above switches.

Third, does this fix the language setting within the vSphere Client for every texts, because I also saw the phenomena, that most text is in English, but the task description and lLogonscreen of vSphere is in German.

It likely won't fix everything. Some plugins and other items may not display as expected.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

In Windows, you can Start -> Run the following command:

vpxClient.exe -locale -en-US

Running vpxClient.exe in Start -> Run would be the equivalent of double-clicking the shortcut on the desktop or Start Menu. You can also create a shortcut with these switches included, or modify the one already there.

Each client would need to launch the app with the above switches.

It likely won't fix everything. Some plugins and other items may not display as expected.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Buechen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, but firstly I have to excuse my grammatical mistakes.

It works absolutely that way and really everything is in English (what a charm).

But still I'd like to know what it depends on installing/starting vSphere Client/vSphere vCenter Server in German? The local OS itself/the momantary regional settings? Apparently it doesn't matter which localized Windows you install vSphere Client/vSphere vCenter Server on, there are several Subfolders called de (German), ja (Japanese) and zh-CN (Chinese) after every vSphere setup. And if vShphere recognizes one of those localized Windows OS it uses those subfolders when starting vpxClient.exe without parameters, otherwise it uses the default "onboard" language en_US. So, if you rename or delete every de-folder at German Windows OS vShpere uses en_US, too. And here it crosses my mind, what about en_UK or de_CH?

And there seems to be a difference using de, de_DE and de-DE respective en, en_US and en-US. At this discussion registry settings are mentioned, too.

0 Kudos