VMware Cloud Community
William_K
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Upgrade Cost

I am rebuilding our old server and want to use Windows Server 2019 but notice that I need a more recent version of ESXi to support 2019.

Our server is quite a few years old and in locating the vSphere Hypervisor installer I see that I have installers and license keys for versions 5.1, 5.5 and 7.0.

But I don't recall their history. I have version 5.1 running on the old server. Did I pay for upgrades. I don't know.

Is their a cost for upgrading from 5.1 to 7.0 and how to go about it?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The first thing is to verify up to which version of VMware vSphere your server (Hardware) is compatible. Attached link: http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php

Normal VMware vShpere licenses do not expire, they are perpetual. Years ago VMware started selling licenses with expiration date, whose price is significantly lower.

Together with the licenses they sell a SnS (software and subscription) contract which is what actually expires, this contract has a duration of 1 or 3 years and can be renewed.

The SnS contract entitles you to updates and patches, and also includes VMware support for the duration of the contract.

You can validate the status of your licenses and if your SnS contract is active by logging into the My VMware website with the user and password with which you registered your licenses.

https://my.vmware.com/

If your SnS contract is not active your reactivation will include values for the time it was not active, a % penalty and a renewal value, which depending on the time it was inactive can result in a value equal or higher than buying a new license (which will also include a new SnS contract).

License 6 can only be used for VMware vSphere versions 6.0, 6.5 and 6.7.

License 7 can only be used for VMware vSphere versions 7.X.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

If you deal with "vSphere Hypervisor" than you use the $$ free version of ESXi. This is most likely likely reason when you say you all ready have the key and installers for several version "around".

A paying customer new exactly when he did the license key upgrade within the my.vmware.com portal. The paying product is vSphere ESXI or vSphere Essentials which is the 500$ entry bundle which also comes with a Subscription.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos