VMware Cloud Community
kheath74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Right switch for iSCSI network

I am looking at a switch for an entry level iSCSI SAN and I am looking to find the right sort of numbers for throughput and Mac Address Table size. My storage network is a HP MSA2324i Array connected to two HP DL380 G6 Servers using iSCSI.

I had looked at HP Pro Curve 2824 Switch and a Linksys SRW2016 Switch. The Linksys I have used before in the 24 port model and I have found it performs well for a network of 30 users with VLANs but I am looking to find out if it will support Storage network traffic.

The HP Pro Curve I know will be good but it is three times the price and I am limited in budget.

Does anyone have any advice on a switch that needs to support traffic for 15 servers, including Exchange 2010 and SQL Server 2005 with DR and HA.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would struggle to see MAC address exhaustion as an issue. A storage switch should be isolated, and with 15 servers + SAN, you've got 16 MAC addresses. Even something very entry level should handle that.

What you do need to ensure is the standard iSCSI recommendations are supported:

• Jumbo Frames

• Flow control

• Rapid STP

• A backplane fast enough to operate at full speed on all ports

• A high level of management.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think getting support from HP for storage or host issues you would be further ahead with the HP switch.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would struggle to see MAC address exhaustion as an issue. A storage switch should be isolated, and with 15 servers + SAN, you've got 16 MAC addresses. Even something very entry level should handle that.

What you do need to ensure is the standard iSCSI recommendations are supported:

• Jumbo Frames

• Flow control

• Rapid STP

• A backplane fast enough to operate at full speed on all ports

• A high level of management.

0 Kudos
kheath74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was thinking that the Jumbo Frames, Flow Control and Management would be the most important factors, Cheers!

0 Kudos