VMware Cloud Community
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FCOE

Feel like FCoE is a bit of a black hole when it comes to specifics.  I am having trouble finding definitive answers on configuring MTU and IP addresses for FCoE port groups.  Looking for help.  I am creating a single vswitch for FCoE.  I am putting one FCoE enabled nic in a dedicated port group and my second FCoE enabled nic in a second port group on the same vswitch.  Within each port group there is only one active nic with its unique vlan.  When I enter the requested IP address does it matter what IP I use during the port group configuration wizard?  I was originally told the IP I chose did not matter, that it was just a place holder for the wizard and was not even used.  Does anyone have a comment on that point?  Additionally I believe FCoE uses mini jumbo frames at 2112 bytes.  Does that mean I should set my port group MTU to 2112 or can I leave it at 1500?  Thoughts?  The reason this is coming up is every few weeks/months randomly one of my ESXi FCoE hosts will go to a disconnected state, while the vms will stay up and the management IP address is pingable.  Only fix is to reboot the host, at which point everything returns to normal.  Endless calls to VMware, Cisco and Dell have not returned any answers.  Tired of coming in at night and weekends (the only time issue seems to happen) to fix the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The IP settings depend on if you are using a hardware adapter or a software adapter.

By choosing an MTU size of 1500 you could introduce fragmentation of frames, why would you want to do that on your storage stack? Sticking to the minimum to avoid fragmentation sounds like a decent plan Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply.  So, on the MTU size when you state sticking to the minimum to avoid fragmentation are you saying I should set the size to the minimum for mini jumbo frames, which I believe is 2500 MTU?

0 Kudos