VMware Horizon Community
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 10 LTSB - Slow login, slow startmenu - Horizon 7.1

Hi!

I have been working around with Windows 10 LTSB for a while, and i do meet som hairpulling frustrating issues.

We are using Mandatory profile.

Linked Clones

AppVols 2.12.1.103

VMWare UEM 9.1

"Delete or refresh machine on logoff: Refresh immediately"

Protocol: PCoIP or BLAST

1. Logontime

During logon, windows wait for a lot of stuff!

Waiting for SVSERVICE(appvols)(5-10 sec), Userprofile service(3-6 sec), Activating policy VmWare UEM flexengine (5-7 sec), preparing windows(15-25 seconds)

2. Start Menu

When click on starmenu it takes like 3-6 seconds before it opens the first time, after that it takes between 1-2 seconds before it opens, and it is too slow!

Funny thing is, when i installed Nvidia Grid on the same golden, and deploy it with this, it works just the way it should!

Best regards
Lansti
6 Replies
DumbUsername
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll just address the slow start menu issue.

On the parent VM setting in vSphere, disable 3D memory, enable 3D rendering, and provide VRAM (try 128 MB).

On Horizon View, set pool's 3D rendering to use Manage by vSphere Client.

Recompose and see if start menu is responsive.

0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It didnt work for me.

I still have a startmenu that is slow. If i deploy the same image as a enhanced with NVIDIA grid drivers, the startmenu works as it should.

Best regards
Lansti
0 Kudos
jhfrtzf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We had the same Problem here.

Try to disable 3D Rendering and set vRAM to 128MB for machine. No need for NVIDIA Cards. Our user can now watch YouTube 720p Videos, Google Maps and so on with no more delays.

When 3D Rendering was set to Software it was catastrophic.

This solved our Performance Problems.

regards

Suman1209
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

We are using the windows 10 LTSB 1607 , 

we are seeing slow login when user tries to reconnect after logoff,

start menu doesnt respond ,

we are also o bserving , when user tries to singout and re login , the welcome screen will freez and user has to close the view client and reopen and launch the desktop to login.

we are using appvolume 2.12.1

UEM 9.2 with Folder redirection ( Except the appdata)

default UEM policy.

Vmware optimization tool ( Login VSI) template. used.

does any facing this issue?

Regards Sumanth VCP7-DTM7 , DCV , NV, VCAP7-DTM Design If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful
0 Kudos
lansti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When i was able to change the perfomance option to best performance, and turning off visual effects in windows 10, my start menu is fast and perfect.

I was changing performance option in my golden image, but when deploying it to VDI it was not changed. Run your VDI and run this:

%windir%\system32\SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe

From UEM i also added these registry settings:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects]

"VisualFXSetting"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize]

"StartupDelayInMSec"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]

"EnableTransparency"=dword:00000000

I also changed a registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout

Changed it to 5, then the issue "preparing windows" issue is gone. Users see that things are happening and you got your windows desktop and are able to start working, even if windows is still preparing in the background.

I might also change the delayeddesktopswitchtimeout to 7 seconds. But it is a lot faster for end user.

Best regards
Lansti
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the answer for me was this blog post:

also, do not use mandatory profile. use 2 cpu's.

https://svenhuisman.com/2017/03/windows-10-in-non-persistent-vdi-login-speed-part-1/