VMware Cloud Community
Matthias_Hehnen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is there a dependeny of the features and the way OVF VM's are imported?

Dear all

My partner, who works on a virtual appliance, has experienced the following behaviour:

If he imports an OVF VM using our vSphere client directly to an ESX server, he recognized, that a section inside the OFV file get's lost. It's the section called "ProductSection" and contains data like product name, vendor name, version etc.

If he however imports the same OVF VM indirectly to the ESX server by using the vCenter, he can see those data in the property setting window of the VM under the option tab as well as on the summary tab.

So we wonder, if this behaviour is "as designed" or if there are any specific settings required for achieving the same behavoir. Ideally he likes to make all information inside teh OVF file / "ProductSection" visible to the end user, regardless how his appliance was imported.

For him it's important that:

1. All that information will be presented to the end customer during the import and

2. All that information gets stored with the VM, so that those data's can be seen at a later point in time as well.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
yardie
Contributor
Contributor

From my experience you don't get the full OVF support unless you are deploying via a vCenter Server instance. The "vApp Options" section of Edit settings->Options tab (in vSphere Client) is only available when managing a VM through vCenter Server. I'm guessing all the metadata only gets stored in vCenter Server unfortunately..

This does complicate things as you point out. Like you I want to take advantage of all the OVF capabilities regardless of how they deploy the app (via vCenter Server or direct-host)... however since the user might not have a vCenter Server for whatever reason ($$s, or no need) I can't depend on the OVF support (that's found under "vApp Options").

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

the vapp runtime infomation like product info, properties, ip pool etc is not supported when deploying to a single esx host. You will have to use vCenter.

With that said we have just released a tool call vapprun that enables you to get the same functionality with VMware Workstation or fusion. Please take a look at http://labs.vmware.com/flings/vapprun

eske

0 Kudos