VMware Cloud Community
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What happens if you are underlicensed for SRM.

So I am a consultant and I just completed an SRM install for a client who is still using the old per proc license model, who has two licenses more than he needs.

He asked me "what would happen to my existing configuration, if I add a 4 socket server to the cluster, would it break everything and if not, what would it break, what would be protected, what would not.  If I had a disaster what could I fail over, anything/something/nothing?"

If anyone knows the effect of hitting SRM licensing limits in the per processor model your info would be great thanks.

Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company he works for.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

in SRM 4.1 if you are using per-proc licensing then if you attempt to protect a VM on a host that so far has NOT hosted any other protected VM's that host will not have been allocated any SRM keys....SO....when you attempt to protect a VM on that host SRM will try to allocate the correct number of per-proc keys to the host. if you have insufficient keys to fully license ALL procs on the host the task will succeed but from that point on the customer will be nagged continuously by SRM (generating events in vCenter) to remind them that they are now in violtation of the license agreement and need to allocate more keys.

if you had the same scenario but they keys in use were eval keys NOT purchase keys then when the eval's expire its game over you would NOT be able to protect ANY more VM's and you would again be nagged by messages to say you are now in violation of the EULA. Note if your EVAL key expires in production this is a BIG deal if you've "forgotten" to buy a real key as we will also prevent any failovers from taking place.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

what version of SRM? the results are different depending on the version.

0 Kudos
anh2lua
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think SRM is licensed per VM, while vSphere, up to version 4.1 is licensed per CPU socket, up to 6 cores per socket on the Enterprise. With vSphere 5, I think licensing is different. Even though VMware said they will license based on average vRAM usage, calculated based on a 12-month period. So it is ok if you have overallocation for short period.

But I think with vSphere 5, you still require to have a CPU license, and that gives u 64 GB of vRAM entitlement, assuming Enterprise.

If you want to protect 75 VMs or less, you can buy these in bundle of 25, I think it breaks down to roughly $195/VM. If you want to have more than 75 VMs protected, you will need to go with SRM Enterprise license, which is roughly $495/VM. If you don't have to protect more than 75 VMs, stay with the smaller bundles, saves a lot of money.

0 Kudos
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Smoggy it is 4.1 with per processor licensing.

Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company he works for.
0 Kudos
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

in SRM 4.1 if you are using per-proc licensing then if you attempt to protect a VM on a host that so far has NOT hosted any other protected VM's that host will not have been allocated any SRM keys....SO....when you attempt to protect a VM on that host SRM will try to allocate the correct number of per-proc keys to the host. if you have insufficient keys to fully license ALL procs on the host the task will succeed but from that point on the customer will be nagged continuously by SRM (generating events in vCenter) to remind them that they are now in violtation of the license agreement and need to allocate more keys.

if you had the same scenario but they keys in use were eval keys NOT purchase keys then when the eval's expire its game over you would NOT be able to protect ANY more VM's and you would again be nagged by messages to say you are now in violation of the EULA. Note if your EVAL key expires in production this is a BIG deal if you've "forgotten" to buy a real key as we will also prevent any failovers from taking place.

0 Kudos
AnthBro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Exactly what I wanted to know. thanks... points awarded

0 Kudos