VMware Cloud Community
abaran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add an additional physical proc?

I will be installing my first ESX server in the coming weeks. I have verified that all of the hardware is compatible, etc. However, my second proc is on back order and I'd like to start working with this server ASAP. Is it a problem for me to go ahead and get a few of my VM's up and running and then install the second proc later on? I'm assuming that this absolutely OK but I also know that any assumption about technology has a habit of coming back to bite us Smiley Wink

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will be fine. When the new proc arrives, migrate all VM's off the Host, put it in maintenance mode, shut down the host and add the new hardware. Keep in mind that you will have to have the appropriate licensing in vCenter, but otherwise you shouldn't run into any problems.

if you feel this or any other answer was useful, please consider marking it as "helpful" or "correct"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have only done this once, but when we did it we just powered off the host, installed the CPU and powered back up and it detected the new CPU perfectly.

----- Mark Atherton
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will be fine. When the new proc arrives, migrate all VM's off the Host, put it in maintenance mode, shut down the host and add the new hardware. Keep in mind that you will have to have the appropriate licensing in vCenter, but otherwise you shouldn't run into any problems.

if you feel this or any other answer was useful, please consider marking it as "helpful" or "correct"

0 Kudos
abaran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the fast responses! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos