VMware Cloud Community
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Clustering HP BL25p G1s with BL25p G2s

This might be a stupid question but am I able to cluster HP BL25p G1s with BL25p G2s. When I test the Vmotion get the following cpu error

unable to migrate from (SERVERBL25pG1) to (SERVERBL25pG2): The CPU of the host is incompatible with the CPU feature of virtual machine; problem at CPUID level 0x80000001 register 'edx'.

Any ideas? Can this be done or should I create a new cluster?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lucheman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have different processors in these boxes so VMotion won't work. This would make a DRS cluster useless in your case because it uses VMotion. However, you could put them in the same HA cluster because HA does not rely on VMotion.

See the HP VMotion compatibility matrix to identify which processors are in the same groups for vmotion. There are 4 groups.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lucheman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have different processors in these boxes so VMotion won't work. This would make a DRS cluster useless in your case because it uses VMotion. However, you could put them in the same HA cluster because HA does not rely on VMotion.

See the HP VMotion compatibility matrix to identify which processors are in the same groups for vmotion. There are 4 groups.

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thought that might be the case

Cheers

0 Kudos
hp_Bladefanatic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are possibilities to do vmotion between rev e & f CPUs ( BL25G1 / BL25G2) , you have to set RDTSCP CPU mask but consider, afterwards only vmotion between 32bit Vms work ( 64bit is not supported)

Use the RDTSCP mask to perform

C <-> D VMotion for 32-bit guest OS.

VMotion is not allowed for 64-bit guest OS.

The mask is supported. (Hinweis: von Vmware)

For instructions on how to apply this mask, see Section 3.5 - To Ignore RDTSCP Restrictions for VC 2.x / ESX 3.x in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1993

steps

Choose Inventory > Virtual Machine > Edit Settings.

Click the Options tab, and select Advanced.

In the CPU Identification Mask area, click the Advanced button.

The CPU Identification Mask window opens.

Open the CPU Identification Mask window as indicated above.

Click the AMD Override tab.

In the Level 80000001 section, edit the edx row so that it contains the following:

\-- 0- -

-

-

-

-

-

Note: This mask is available, though not fully supported, for VMotion migration of virtual machines running 32-bit guest operating systems only. It is not available for 64-bit guest operating systems.

siehe attached Artikel

» Intel VMotion - KB 1991

» AMD VMotion - KB 1992

timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for that will give this a go and let you know how I get on

0 Kudos
timw18
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That worked thanks for that save me a lot of pain, money..............

0 Kudos
hp_Bladefanatic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you are always welcome Smiley Wink

0 Kudos