VMware Cloud Community
lbhans
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to boot VM from an ISO

Greetings,

I have just built an ESX 3.0 Host and am in the process of making templates from which to deploy VMs. I am unable to get a VM to boot from am ISO. I have pointed the CD-ROM drive in VM Setings to the ISO file and set it to connect at powerup. When I powe the VM on, it attempts to do PXE boot, after which it goes right to "Operating System Not Found" I have tried several different ISO images all with the same result. I burned a CD with the original ISO image I was using and was able to boot from it and install the OS by attaching the CD-Rom drive in my VI client machine. Since I am only running one host, I did nt install Virtual Center. I just connect directly from the client.

Thoughts Anyone?

Thanks

Larry

0 Kudos
12 Replies
lbhans
Contributor
Contributor

Correction .... The ESX Version is 3.5

0 Kudos
Mcurrie
Contributor
Contributor

The VM may be loading past the "boot from CD" option too fast or the boot order is HD first.

Try editing the VM settings to change the boot order by doing the following:

1. Edit VM Properites

2. Options Tab

3. Advanced/Boot Options

4. Check "Force BIOS Setup" so that you can change the boot order so the CD is hit first

Hope this helps.

Mike

0 Kudos
Tballl
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same thing going on what i did is click in the window then hit enter dont know why but that started the install from ISO

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to a more appropiate forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Bunnicula
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same exact problem...I've made sure the boot time is 120seconds, I've set it to boot to BIOS and then changed to CD first...and it still gives the same result where it simply goes to "Local" or "PXE" boot. Local shows "No OS Found" and PXE, obviously goes to the server boot - no options are allowing it to boot to the iso. hrmph.

**UPDATE** So I completely removed the network adapter in the VM and it now doesn't try to go to PXE, but it's still booting to "No OS Found" and is acting like it's not seeing the virtual or physical cd drive or iso install file. (I've tried every config possible that I can think of to get it to see this)

Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been down this road.

Do you have the .ISO on the local VMFS of your ESX host? Or is it elsewhere?

Sven

0 Kudos
Bunnicula
Contributor
Contributor

I made sure it's in the C:\Virtual Machines\OSX\ datastore directory...the VM is seeing it - when I boot up the VM, the bar at the bottom shows the image for the CD icon...I've tried to boot from cd directly, using Daemon tools, and alcohol with the same results...the vmware sees the image, the booting process doesn't (even after setting CD as 1st in Bios boot)

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You've said you've tried other .ISOs - but does that mean .ISOs of the same OS, or Windows, Linux, etc ?

0 Kudos
lbhans
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Sven,

The ISO is on the Local VMFS. I created a folder called VMIMAGES on

the same volume as ESX and dropped the ISO in there. I have tried

different ISOs......all of which are known good.

Thanks

Larry

Larry Hansen

CIGNA Systems - IT Infrastructure Engineering

Bloomfield, Ct. A7IT

860-226-1314

larry.hansen@cigna.com

0 Kudos
Sven_Burger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting issue.

Sounds stupid, but I would try switching ESX versions. If you're using 3.5 Full, try 3i, etc. You don't have any other VMs on there, so it's worth a shot!

0 Kudos
lbhans
Contributor
Contributor

The ISO I am trying to boot is W2K3 Standard edition. I have created

other ISOs of that OS from different sources and have been able to cut

Bootable cds from them.

I have also tried Windows 2000 and Windows XP......all with the same

result.

Thanks

L

Larry Hansen