VMware Communities
edlong
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion - Tools does not install, Just hangs forever

I just converted my Dell latpop to a VM using VMWare converter. It loads fine (minus the need to re-register my copy of windows), but the VMWare tools install just seems to hang. After clicking on Virtual Machine->Install VMWare Tools, the menu just sits a "cancel VMWare tools installation". I've let it sit for an hour, rebooted and tried a few different times. (network is working fine)

Are there any answers to this? Is there anyway to see/monitor the tools install (e..g process or something) and and is there any alternative way to install the tools (e.g. download and just run an .msi in windows).

Thanks in advance,

- Ed

PS: In a newly created VM, the tools install works fine.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
edlong
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved. I noted that in My Computer the VMWare tools was mounted as a drive and I manually installed them.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VMware Fusion forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
cdanr
Contributor
Contributor

In addition to my shared folder woes (posted in another thread) I am experiencing a similar problem with the VMware Tools only worse. If I open Explorer and then click "Install VMware Tools" from the menu bar the CD drive briefly flashes and that's it. Not only does it not autostart the image never mounts. I had to use Daemon Tools to mount the windows.iso image to install the tools.

Something is very messed up with my installation of VMware Tools and Vista but it is my Boot Camp installation and I am hesitant to wipe it out and start over to fix it. If it was just a virtual machine that is exactly what I would do.

I wish there was some way to fix it short of that. No amount of installation and uninstallation of Fusion seems to fix it and I also did an upgrade installation over the top of Vista all to no avail.

0 Kudos
R3_Consultant
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I'm a new user.

Nice forum. looks like I'm having a similar problem.

I have installed Fusion 1.1.1 Evaluation under MAC OS X 10.5.2 Leopard.

The program automatically detected my Bootcamp partition and now I can enter the Windows XP Environment in Single Window mode.

However when I select Virtual Machine --> 'Install VMWare Tools', the program seems to hang for a long time, apparently doing nothing. The Virtual Machine menu is changed to show the option to 'Cancel VMWare Tools Installation'. Nothing further happens, no hints or popups, and no tools are installed. During this 'hang' I can still enter the XP environment and work as normal.

Is the VMWare Tools installation available for Evaluation users?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is the VMWare Tools installation available for Evaluation users?

Yes, there is no restriction other than the 30-day time limit. If you have autorun disabled, you have to start setup.exe yourself; all the Tools Installation menu item does is connect the appropriate image.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The program automatically detected my Bootcamp partition and now I can enter the Windows XP Environment in Single Window mode.

However when I select Virtual Machine --> 'Install VMWare Tools', the program seems to hang for a long time, apparently doing nothing. The Virtual Machine menu is changed to show the option to 'Cancel VMWare Tools Installation'. Nothing further happens, no hints or popups, and no tools are installed. During this 'hang' I can still enter the XP environment and work as normal.

If you go into My Computer (Windows Explorer) and look at the CD/DVD Drive can you double-click to open it and see the setup.exe and then if so double-click the setup.exe?

If not you may have to manually mount the VMware Tools window.iso file...

At this point go ahead and select Cancel VMWare Tools Installation from the Virtual Machine menu and then shutdown, not suspend the Virtual Machine. (You could do this without shutting down the Virtual Machine however under the circumstances it may be best to just shutdown, make the following changes and continue on.)

In the CD/DVD Settings sheet select the Use disk image: radio button then in click the list box and select Choose... then point it directly to the VMware Tools Windows ISO file ("/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/windows.iso") and then start the Virtual Machine and DO NOT SELECT "Install VMware Tools" from the Virtual Machine menu! Just go straight to the CD/DVD-ROM Drive in Windows and execute the setup.exe.

You may also want to look at: VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring the CD/DVD Drive

0 Kudos
R3_Consultant
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help.

That was the answer all along!

I did have Autorun disabled, and had expected VMWare Installer to create an 'extra' CDRom Drive, but the setup app was actually there on my D drive all the time!!

I ran Setup from the D Drive in XP and bingo - the installation went smoothly.

Wow, this product is VERY slick now - Unity makes everything tie nicely with the Mac environment.

CHEERS!!

0 Kudos
R3_Consultant
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody, I missed your post initially (I was busy successfully installing!).

See above.

Thanks guys!!

0 Kudos
slpatters
Contributor
Contributor

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I'm having the same problem and have been battling it for months!

Mounting the windows.iso disk doesn't work. Although the disk icon at the status bar at the bottom is turned on and is pointing to the windows.iso file the drive does not appear in the Windows Explorer. When I look at Control panel, it has the dreaded yellow exclamation point. Smiley Sad

Also, Windows requires that I authenticate before I can even start the VM.

Mac: MacbookPro, Leopard 10.5.6

VM: Windows XP Pro, SP2 converted from Dell Inspiron 1100

I'm a Mac novice, so please be specific on steps to resolve. Thank you!

SP

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I'm having the same problem and have been battling it for months!

So why have you waited so long to ask for help?

Mounting the windows.iso disk doesn't work. Although the disk icon at the status bar at the bottom is turned on and is pointing to the windows.iso file the drive does not appear in the Windows Explorer. When I look at Control panel, it has the dreaded yellow exclamation point. Smiley Sad

If there is a flag on the CD/DVD in Windows Device Manage then you cannot install VMware Tools while using a flagged CD/DVD and this is not a Fusion issue per se and needs to be diagnosed/troubleshoot just as if it was a Windows physical machine. Have a look at the following Microsoft KB Article to see if it's applicable: Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Well if Windows isn't running then Windows can't be requiring that you authenticate anything before you even start the Virtual Machine! So it sounds like you're not explaining the issue correctly so you're going to have to be a bit more explicit and specific as to this "authenticate" issue. Screenshot if necessary however may message boxes the text can be copied and pasted so try that first.

VM: Windows XP Pro, SP2 converted from Dell Inspiron 1100

OEM versions of Windows that came pre-installed like on your Dell Inspiron 1100 are not legally transferable. In other words it lives and dies on the system it was originally installed on, the Dell Inspiron 1100 in this case.

0 Kudos
slpatters
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't waited. I have been trying to troubleshoot and often gave up because I have more important things to do than try and get this to work. I have two programs on the PC that I want to use that I cannot get Mac versions for, so I attempted it again. Starting from convert process again.

If there is a flag on the CD/DVD in Windows Device Manage then you cannot install VMware Tools while using a flagged CD/DVD and this is not a Fusion issue per se and needs to be diagnosed/troubleshoot just as if it was a Windows physical machine. Have a look at the following Microsoft KB Article to see if it's applicable: Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

The flag is on the virtual CD/DVD drive for the VMWare windows.iso file.

Well if Windows isn't running then Windows can't be requiring that you authenticate anything before you even start the Virtual Machine! So it sounds like you're not explaining the issue correctly so you're going to have to be a bit more explicit and specific as to this "authenticate" issue. Screenshot if necessary however may message boxes the text can be copied and pasted so try that first.

I realize that Windows needs to authenticate to run. I only made my comment because the Migrate Your Windows PC to your Mac video specifically says to not authenticate before installing VMWare tools.

Let me rephrase what I need help with - how do I get the windows.iso file to mount correctly in the windows VM? I can use the VM, but cannot get the VMware tools installed.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't waited. I have been trying to troubleshoot and often gave up because I have more important things to do than try and get this to work. I have two programs on the PC that I want to use that I cannot get Mac versions for, so I attempted it again. Starting from convert process again.

The point I was trying to make was that when you said "I realize this thread is over a year old, but I'm having the same problem and have been battling it for months!" and since you only joined the on May 13, 2009 and it was your first post it was more like me saying why didn't you come here months ago and ask for help but don't worry about because as you said you had more important things to do.

The flag is on the virtual CD/DVD drive for the VMWare windows.iso file.

If the flag is on the CD/DVD in Windows Device Manager did you even look at or try what was in the linked Microsoft KB Article?

I realize that Windows needs to authenticate to run. I only made my comment because the Migrate Your Windows PC to your Mac video specifically says to not authenticate before installing VMWare tools.

Nowhere in that video does it use the term "authenticate" and it specifically and explicitly states "If Windows prompts you to re-activate be sure to wait until after you install VMware Tools" so again you're not relaying accurate information however if you've converted a physical machine using an OEM version it is not legally transferable and in most cases you end up having to re-activate Windows first and possibly again afterwards if you are not being given a 3 day grace period in which to re-activate.

Let me rephrase what I need help with - how do I get the windows.iso file to mount correctly in the windows VM? I can use the VM, but cannot get the VMware tools installed.

I have already provided an answer to this and if you have tried you certainly didn't provide any feedback as to whether or not information in the linked Microsoft KB Article helped. You also have not provided adequate information as to the nature of the flag on the CD/DVD in Windows Device Manager to further analyze and diagnose so these is nothing else to add unless you provide additional information. From the limited information you've provided this appears to be a Windows issue not a Fusion issue so you need to diagnose/troubleshoot this just as if it were a physical machine.

0 Kudos
slpatters
Contributor
Contributor

If the flag is on the CD/DVD in Windows Device Manager did you even look at or try what was in the linked Microsoft KB Article?

After three attempts, it finally worked.

Nowhere in that video does it use the term "authenticate" and it specifically and explicitly states "If Windows prompts you to re-activate be sure to wait until after you install VMware Tools" so again you're not relaying accurate information however if you've converted a physical machine using an OEM version it is not legally transferable and in most cases you end up having to re-activate Windows first and possibly again afterwards if you are not being given a 3 day grace period in which to re-activate.

I'm sorry, I meant "activate". Also, it is not an OEM version.

Issue resolved. thank you.

0 Kudos