VMware Communities
mjr127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network Share between two XP VMs

Seems like this should be easy, but for some reason I can't get it to work. MacPro with two XP VMs running. I want to share a few folders between the VMs. I tried putting them both in Bridge mode, but I was unable to ping one from the other.

Is there something else I need to do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ssumichrast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not too familiar with sygate. As you found out, yes Windows firewall allows File Sharing through, but it disables ping responses (unless you manually enable it). If you've got Sygate running on one of those VMs, I'd disable the Windows one so you don't have multiple firewalls on the system causing trouble for you...

Open ports 135-139 (both TCP and UDP) and also open 445 (UDP and TCP).

Please remember to award points for a correct or helpful answer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ssumichrast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do ipconfig on your Windows VMs. Check the IP address -- it should be similar to the one your Mac's interface is using. Once you put them into bridge, if you don't restart do this:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

That will make Windows grab new addressing -- also make sure the Windows Firewall is off as that will disable ping response by default, I believe.

0 Kudos
mjr127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmmm yeah they are both on my mac's subnet, and were given 192.168.1.8 and 192.168.1.9 for IPs.

Window Firewall is on for both machines. Should I turn them both off, or is that going to create security issues? Will sharing work with them on, or is it just the pings that don't work with them on?

0 Kudos
mjr127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I figured it out, and yes sharing works with Windows Firewall on.

One last question. I have Sygate Personal Firewall installed on the one vm for an application that I run. I had to create a rule to allow all ports and protocols from the other vm so I could share folders on the computer with the SPF installed on it. My question is what port/protocol exactly is windows network sharing? Right now I have all ports and protocols open, but I'd like to limit it to only network sharing. Hope this makes sense.

0 Kudos
ssumichrast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not too familiar with sygate. As you found out, yes Windows firewall allows File Sharing through, but it disables ping responses (unless you manually enable it). If you've got Sygate running on one of those VMs, I'd disable the Windows one so you don't have multiple firewalls on the system causing trouble for you...

Open ports 135-139 (both TCP and UDP) and also open 445 (UDP and TCP).

Please remember to award points for a correct or helpful answer.

0 Kudos
mjr127
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it all working, TYVM

0 Kudos