VMware Communities
garwig
Contributor
Contributor

Printer will not work in Windows XP after installing VMware Fusion for my MacBook Pro. How do you set this up?

How do I get my printer to work in Windows XP after installing Fusion on Macbook Pro. It works fine on Leopard but will not work through Windows.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
foto2010
Contributor
Contributor

How does your printer connect to your computer?

If it connects via USB then you need to enable that port from VMware. It's one of the icons in the lower right hand side of the Fusion window. Once the printer has been enabled you should be able to install the software for Windows. You will probably want to visit the manufacture's website and download the latest drivers for Windows to install it.

Keep in mind that while Fusion is running your printer won't work on the Mac side unless you disable it from Fusion by turning off the icon in the lower right hand side of the screen. Think of these icons as an off and on switch.

If the printer is FireWire or Parallel then there's a different strategy involved to connect the printer.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
garwig
Contributor
Contributor

The printer is an HP Photosmart C8180 all in one. Brand new and

wireless. So, does the wireless make a difference on the windows side?

0 Kudos
stewc
Contributor
Contributor

If you are using the wireless connection, that means you are using a network connection to the printer, right? Not USB directly to your Mac?

I'm doing something similar, and I found it really easy to install my printer (different HP model) using Bonjour for Windows within the XP guest. Keep in mind that you need to change the networking type to bridged networking, not NAT. I downloaded Bonjour, made the networking switch using the Fusion menu, and presto!

0 Kudos
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Configure printer as shared printer in Virtual Machine.

Regards,

Silica V.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
0 Kudos