VMware Communities
Toxicologist
Contributor
Contributor

Second Hard drive

If I install a second hard drive in my Mack Pro, can this drive be partitioned and be part of the hard drive space available on Windows XP Pro?

Bob

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gbullman
Expert
Expert

Probably yes, but you haven't provided enough information to answer for sure. Are you running a boot camp Windows XP for example? Does it have to be a 2nd disk, or do you just need more space in an existing VM? Take a look at this for a description of what typically needs to be included in a question

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If I install a second hard drive in my Mack Pro, can this drive be partitioned and be part of the hard drive space available on Windows XP Pro?

Your question is a little ambiguous so to answer your question in general, yes.

However explicitly and specifically how you want to use it will require additional information if you need directions to accomplish your goal.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It is maybe not completely clear why your question is so ambigouis if you are not an "advanced" Fusion user. There are many possible scenarios here.

Are you adding the new physical disk directly to your Mac PRO using SATA/SAS/RAID?

Are you adding the new disk using USB or firewire?

Do you want to use the whole new disk and access it directly from within your VM? (I would advice against this unless you have a really good reason as this would break portability of your VM)

Is your VM a bootcamp VM?

Best way to add a new virtual disk to your XP VM (non bootcamp) is to just add the new disk, format it in OS X then add a new virtual disk from within Fusion to your VM. Steps are:

-shut down VM

-Open Virtual Machine Library-

-Select Settings

-add new virtual disk

-start your VM

-format your new virtual disk

If I was in your shoes I would probably move the entire VM to the new disk so that your complete VM is a under one folder.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Toxicologist
Contributor
Contributor

Wil:

I want to add place the hard drive inside the computer and have the Mac system control it. I want to place data on it.

If I understand the suggestion, this is to move windows to the new hard drive?

Bob

Robert W. Coppock, DVM, Toxicologist and Assoc Ltd

R. W. Coppock, DVM, DABVT, MS, PhD, DABT

Post Office Box 2031

Vegreville, AB T9C 1T2

Office (780) 632-6122

Mobile (780) 995-4492

FAX (780) 632-4492

This e-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential and privileged information for the recipient only. This e-mail may be subject to legal professional privilege. If you have received this e-mail by mistake you must inform us immediately by return email, delete the email and destroy all copies. You must not disclose or use any of the information contained in this e-mail in any way.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

The suggestion with the layed out steps where to add a new virtual disk to your windows Virtual Machine (VM)

For example a D-drive for your windows XP VM. If you'd rather expand your current virtual disk to a bigger one ten that is possible as well.

In that case make sure to make a copy of your VM first, just in case you make a mistake somewhere down the line (not saying you will, but it canhappen to the best of us)

For adding the disk to OS X go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility in Finder and format it there.

If you are not comfortable with not doing this yourself then I'd recommend asking this to someone a little more experienced as this is a potentially data destroying

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos