VMware Communities
rwhansell
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion vrs Virtual PC

My 30 day trial using VMware Fusion is about to expire.

My previous experience with Virtual PC was much more like a VM.

I could connect to the internet with explorer, print documents directly from the VM,

it was like having a PC. I don't seem to be able to do any of these things with (con)Fusion.

I was helped to enlarge the screen but it was like using "Fatbits" back with Mac OS <10.

Is it because I'm only running Windows 98 SE?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you install VMware Tools inside the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
rwhansell
Contributor
Contributor

Several times I've installed VMware tools (modify, repair, modify, . . .) to see if it helps.

It tells me it can't install certain drivers (I'm using a 2007 intel iMac), and then says I must

install these manually. . . giving an arcane list of instructions like 'click on Advance button'

then 'tab button', but doesn't tell you where these are to be found (It should know that the

User is not a Microsoft Windoz expert). Other than the two divers it can't install it says everything else

was successful, but I don't she any change in functionality.

Under Virtual PC I could do just about anything a PC would do.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

and then says I must

install these manually. . . giving an arcane list of instructions like 'click on Advance button'

then 'tab button', but doesn't tell you where these are to be found (It should know that the

User is not a Microsoft Windoz expert). Other than the two divers it can't install it says everything else

was successful, but I don't she any change in functionality.

Is this about the Screen Resolution Issue from your other post?

Did you try manually updating the Display Adapters Driver?

If you go into Device Manager tab on the System Properties dialog box and click the + sign on the node for Display adapters. Then right-click the listed adapter and select Properties then click the Driver tab then click the Update Driver button and walk through the Wizard and specify the location as, "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\video".

Or are the Devices in question the PCI Multimedia Audio Controler and the PCI SCSI Bus Controler?

0 Kudos
rwhansell
Contributor
Contributor

I'm told the system is using the best video driver found on the

Windows 98 SE installation disk,

so nothing further can be gained there (since MS doesn't support this

OS any more).

My main concern now is getting Fusion to recognize my cable internet

connection via Explorer and my printer.

(Something that was routine for Virtual PC.)

I would think that all of this would be routine for a mature product.

I'm not sure VMware tools has

enhanced performance in any way.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
rbugles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SO, currently can you fire up your VM, and have it surf the internet? (regarding recognizing your cable connection) This is probably just either enabling your network connection or changing what type of connection you have it set for... make sure it isnt set for host only, and have it bridge your physical connection)

Regarding the printer... is it an HP Smiley Happy ... seriously though, what exactly is the issue with it seeing / recognizing your printer... does it not see it, does it not know what it is, once it can see it? Is it a network attached printer? Is it a USB attached?

R

0 Kudos
rwhansell
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
rbugles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So at a quick glance, it appears that your VM has connectivity. Correct? You can get out on the internet... so is that problem solved, or is there something else?

The printer issue... how is it connected to your host? USB?

R

0 Kudos
rwhansell
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
rbugles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, I am not seeing any text in your responce. I will try again little later today.

R

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm told the system is using the best video driver found on the Windows 98 SE installation disk, so nothing further can be gained there (since MS doesn't support this OS any more).

I know by now you may feel like I'm beating a dead horse however I submit to you that with the error message you stated "the system is using the best video driver found on the Windows 98 SE installation disk" you did not properly follow the direction when VMware Tools was installed nor did you select the correct choices when going through the wizard after the fact.

If you already had the correct driver installed the message would state "The best driver Windows found is already installed for this device" it would say anything about the "Windows 98 SE installation disk".

Microsoft Support has nothing to do with this issue as the Video Driver you need to install is being provided by VMware and is located in "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\video" and if you would uncheck the "CD-ROM drive" check box on the "Update Device Driver Wizard" dialog box and select the "Specify a location" check box then click the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder path mentioned above and proceed forward it should install the correct driver.

Just so you know I can reproduce the state your Video is showing in the pictures you've posted and well as the message you stated and I can only reproduce them when the correct driver is not installed and when I do point to the correct driver it does update the driver. Of course if I try to update the driver with the correct one installed I get the message I posted not the one you posted which I'd expect to get under the circumstances.

The only way to force the correct drive to reinstall if the correct one is installed would be to delete the "C:\WINDOWS\INF\OTHER\VMware, Inc.vmx_svga.inf" file and remove the Display adapter from the Device Manager and reboot. It would then install the Standard PCI Graphics Adapter then you would update the driver point to the "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\video" folder for it to display the VMware SVGA II adapter.

So does the Display adapter in Device Manger look like the picture on the left or the one on the right and the right one is what it should be.

&lt;- Wrong

-

Right -&gt;

0 Kudos
rbugles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi rwhansell,

I am unable to see the text in your responses to me. Sorry..

R

0 Kudos
rwhansell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. Everything seems to be running now.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for your help. Everything seems to be running now.

Where you able to fix the Video Adapter Driver issue or are you still stuck in 640x480 resolution?

0 Kudos
rwhansell
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to fix it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I was able to fix it.

I'm glad you were able to fix it! For the benefit of others that come searching through this Forum having the same problem would you be so kind as to share with the community how you resolved the video issue? Thanks.

0 Kudos
rwhansell
Contributor
Contributor

Sure, what ever help I can give.

0 Kudos