VMware Communities
docmiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot see network after 6.5.5 to 8.0 upgrade

I have a couple of VMs that run concurrently and talk to each other as well as with the host OS.

Since upgrading to 8.0 I can no longer ping or reach the other machines nor the host OS.  I have not changed any settings since upgrading.  The two vms have static IP addresses of 192.168.0.123 and 124 respectively.   The gateway is on 192.168.0.100.   Neither machine can ping each other nor the gateway.

Has anyone else seen this?   I am completely dead in the water.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Automatic bridging doesn't work properly, so select a specific Host NIC for VMnet0 in the Virtual Network Editor.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use the Virtual Network Editor to make sure that none of your settings were changed during the upgrade.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
docmiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was part of my point.  I don't remember which VNet was assigned to which IP address.  They appear correct but I should have recorded the previous settings - not imaging they would be changed.

Since I am operating in bridged mode I don't see any settings which I can change.  Bridged is set to automatic.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is Automatic Bridging using the network adapter you expect it to?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Automatic bridging doesn't work properly, so select a specific Host NIC for VMnet0 in the Virtual Network Editor.

0 Kudos
docmiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I used Google to search for the string "vmware workstation 8 bridged networking not working" and discovered quite a few hits.

I found a common theme in restoring the workstation editor settings to "Default".  I took a screen shot of my settings, tried to restore to default, and now everything is working again.   Notice I said tried.  I forgot that I had a VM running so the restore to default WOULD NOT RUN - HOWEVER my network begin working immediately after the attempted restore.

I powered down my VM, ran "restore default" in the network editor, restarted my VM and now it is NOT working again.

I've been a heavy Workstation user since 3.x and this one has me puzzled.

Cheers

0 Kudos
docmiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bingo!  That is the correct answer.  I selected a specific network interface and it is working like a charm.

Much obliged sir!

Update - has a defect been opened for this or is it not considered a defect?

0 Kudos