VMware Communities
KhurramShahxad
Contributor
Contributor

Could not create anonymous paging file for 8192

Hello Experts,

I am using VMWare Workstation Pro below is the screenshot showing the information of my current VMWare Workstation Pro setup.

KhurramShahxad_2-1698740246479.png

Please note my host machine only having Windows 11 Pro along with Windows related basic applications / games etc and apart from these application I have VMWare Workstation Pro installed on my host OS. Here is another screenshot of Memory Preferences from VMWare Workstation Pro FYR.

KhurramShahxad_4-1698741145240.png

The host machine is having (NVME-M2) drive of 2TB with 2 Partitions. C (265 GB) and and D (1.55 TB)

C drive is only for OS installation and VMWare Workstation Pro has been installed on C drive. Currently C drive is having 180 GB free space out of 265 GB.

All my VMs are installed in D drive and currently D drive is having 828 GB free from 1.55 TB.

Since morning I am unable to run multiple VMs, usually I was able to execute 2 VMs at the same time and in some cases I was able to run 3 VMs at the same time, however since morning due to error I am only able to run 1 VM at 1 time. Whenever I try to run the 2nd VM I receive this below error.

KhurramShahxad_3-1698741064838.png

Really no idea what to configure and where. 

Appreciate your support in resolving the issue.

------------------------------------

Update

Current virtual memory settings are shown below

KhurramShahxad_1-1698766379118.png

After posting the original message whole day my host machine was like dying. Memory was going to 99%. Now suddenly I received this error and the machine got hanged. I tried my best however ended restarting (switched off and on again)

KhurramShahxad_0-1698766131390.png

I have also added support data.

Please VMWare support team kindly help to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffH322
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm seeing this issue as well - also with VMware Workstation Pro 17.5.0. I've been running VMware Workstation 16, 16.5, 17, and now 17.5 on the same workstation and have never seen this message before.

I was reading another post on the VMTN Communities:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/Could-not-create-anonymous-paging-file-f...

Specifically, a post by @continuum where there's mention of removing the following setting from the VMX file:

mainmem.useNamedFile = "false"

That would imply that the setting is in the VMX file by default; however, I do not see it in the VMX file for the Windows 11 VM in question on my endpoint.

I will try adding the option (setting it to true) and open a support ticket if the issue persists.

JeffH322_0-1704991635206.png

0 Kudos
rickpage
Contributor
Contributor

Any success on this? I am not on 17.5 yet as I have been reading about all of the issues and having to downgrade. SO I am still at 17.0. It is strange that all of a sudden this is starting to happen and all of the Google searches turn up results dating back to 2007, 2009 and 2011. I have 64GB of RAM and my system is currently only using 29% of it. I would think that the paging file would actively not be in use right now. FYI. I have seen this error twice so far. first time was on VM startup and it had to be restarted. The second time was when the VM suspended and was trying to resume resulting in a restart.

0 Kudos
Jogibaer
Contributor
Contributor

Same Issue shows up on my VMware 17.5.1

I tried the solution above with mainmem.useNamedFile = "false" but this does not work for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos