VMware Communities
TomBro
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmui) Exception 0xc000001d

I have 3 computers running Workstation Pro version 17.5.  I have been running Workstation Pro for years, starting with version 12.  Just purchased 3 identical computers and on 2 computers, Workstation Pro runs perfect.  On one, I continue to get this error "VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmui),  Exception 0xc000001d has occurred.".  

Been looking at posts and trying everything I can, but can't seem to find the resolution to this issue.  The system will take 2-3 times to open (double clicking on the app icon), and then sometimes it will start up and I can run some machines.  Sometimes it gives this error and shuts down.  When it does run, if I run too many systems, it will eventually shut down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Log is attached.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

So one of these is not like the others, eh?  If these three machines are identical (the same hardware and Windows), then it's likely not Workstation. It's likely something on that machine.

The log is showing a Win32 SEH error (SEH is Structured Exception Handler, an. analogue of Unix signals, indicating a CPU exception. The error code you're seeing has several causes according to many resources I'm looking at including:

• Corrupted system files – This error may appear due to corrupted or damaged system files. Try running an SFC scan via Command Prompt to resolve it.
  • Outdated display driver – If the display driver is incompatible or outdated, you may see this error. Try updating it to fix the problem.
  • Bad sectors on your drive – Bad sectors on your disk can reduce the system’s ability to execute specific tasks, leading to such errors. Try running a disk check to understand the issue.
  • Third-party software interference – Some third-party security software conflicts and prevent the app from launching, causing the error. Try disabling the antivirus temporarily.
  • Recent changes – Sometimes certain changes in your machine such as app installation or driver update may disrupt the functioning of DLL files, leading to this error.

One article to check is https://www.partitionwizard.com/news/0xc000001d.html which has a checklist of things to do if youi're getting this error.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos