VMware Cloud Community
roosje
Contributor
Contributor

VMware-VCSA-all-8.0.0-20920323 upgrade from VMware-VCSA-all-7.0.3-20150588 stuck at 48% in stage 2

I am upgrading vCenterVA v7 to v8 using the ISO and mounted to my PC and in stage it is stuck at 48%. Opening the HTML pages shows for both V7 and V8 vCenter: 

no healthy upstream

roosje_0-1672674464612.png

Opening the administration page at port 5480 of V8 shows similar from the vCenter installer:

roosje_1-1672674868292.png

Checking te ESXi host:

roosje_2-1672675000033.png

Checking the console:

roosje_4-1672676037572.png

Pinging from my PC:

On both hostname vCenter V7 and IP adres: all packets received <1ms but VM is off
On both hostname vCenter V8 and IP adres: all packets received <1ms and VM is on

Prerequisites are met, like DNS, NTP and no DRS only these warnings before deployment of stage 2:

roosje_5-1672676222253.png

Does anybody has an explanation and solution for this?

Help is much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sean_c6
Contributor
Contributor

Something is off if you can open the webpage to a powered off VCenter7, even then it shouldn't answer pings when powered down either. 

I am guessing fully here, but in DNS did you put the wrong PTR or A record IP for the VCenter? That still doesn't make full sense as you can open the VAMI when it is powered down???

Perhaps use ARP -A and try to verify the MAC address of the VCenters. 

Did you power down the VCenter7 or did it do it for you as part of the upgrade process? 

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I have the same at homelab. Did not find a solutuion

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Two questions:

Can you confirm that DRS is disabled, so that the new vCSA is running on the expected host?

What exactly did you do with the DNS names? It's expected that the new vCSA responds to both IP addresses (the temporary IP, and the old vCSA's IP), so that's perfectly fine. The temporary IP address is be removed once the upgrade completes.
However, what about the new DNS name? The upgrade assumes the old vCenter Server's identity, and I think there might be an issue with the new name, and likely a new SSL certificate that doesn't match the expected one.
In case you created a new DNS record with a new name, remove it and run the upgrade again.
If you want to rename the vCSA, you can do this either before, or after the upgrade.

André

0 Kudos
roosje
Contributor
Contributor

In a world where people are patient these posts are not summitted.

When I arrived this morning and checked the progress: the upgrade was successfully finished. It was stuck at least 2 hours at 48% before I started to check the internet for possible solutions and submitted this post after 3 hours at 48%, until finishing it must have taken many many hours to complete.

My advice: take enough time for an upgrade and be patient.

0 Kudos
roosje
Contributor
Contributor

The upgrade process stopped the vCenter v7. This morning it was finished successfully

0 Kudos
roosje
Contributor
Contributor

DRS is off and I added a new DNS record for the temporary vCenter v8. This morning it was finished successfully. 

0 Kudos
EloHHH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys,

Im facing the exact issue.
Please tell me:

1. Does 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 can work for DNS? (because I put those when I started the upgrade.)
  2. where should I check change DNSs on vcenter server? (I have ssh access)
  3. What should I exactly put there as DNS? (is there any public DNS server that can pass this step? or I should run a DNS server!)
root@vcenter [ ~ ]# cat /etc/hosts
# VAMI_EDIT_BEGIN
# Generated by Studio VAMI service. Do not modify manually.
127.0.0.1 vcenter.********.com vcenter localhost
::1 vcenter.********.com vcenter localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback
::1 localhost.localdom localhost
root@vcenter [ ~ ]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8

0 Kudos