VMware Cloud Community
ajithhostingraj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI SSD and non-SSD performance

We are using SSD drives for storage, but while checking datastores its showing "non-ssd". We have not performed non-ssd to ssd change command while setup the ESXI host.

Now we are running 40+ vms in the host. If we using SSD and datastore showing "non-ssd" it will give any performance degrade / it will give only non-ssd io perform?

Please clarify this SSD - non-SSD

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It will have a performance degradation. ESXi kernel will look at it as a non-SSD disk and perform accordingly. You need to mark the disks as SSD if you want a SSD level of performance.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

Check if the following VMware KB article helps: VMware Knowledge Base

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It will have a performance degradation. ESXi kernel will look at it as a non-SSD disk and perform accordingly. You need to mark the disks as SSD if you want a SSD level of performance.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
Flo-T
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

yeah, sorry, I am digging up, but : this question is still actual and people seeing this could base their knowledge on this last answer.

"It will have a performance degradation. ESXi kernel will look at it as a non-SSD disk and perform accordingly. You need to mark the disks as SSD if you want a SSD level of performance."

Well I am surprised. Your answer is based on what please ?

What kernel might do to lower the SSD perf ?

I think it is important for vSAN, for ESX to know which disk is SSD or not, but not for any array based storage.

Also I am asking this to SupreetK, of course every experts thoughts will be welcome.

0 Kudos