VMware Cloud Community
jscooper22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Renew Self-Signed Certificate

Hi,

Running vSphere 8.02 with 2 esxi 7.0 update 3 hosts. Just got a "Certificate Alert" in vsphere. It's due to expire in a couple weeks. The STS Certificate, VMWare Cert Authority, and Root Cert are all good for another six years.

I'm using self-signed certificates. Is it really as simple as going to VSphere > Administration > Certificates > Certificate Management > Machine SSL Certificate > Actions > Renew? What risks are there to my servers stopping functioning or me not being able to log in to vSphere? Anything else I need to watch for? Compared to most of you I have a tiny and (I think) pretty simple setup.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mutchlerr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are correct on the renewal.  You will need to reconnect the host to vCenter in order for the certificate hash to be recognized.  It should not halt any running VMs.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
mutchlerr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are correct on the renewal.  You will need to reconnect the host to vCenter in order for the certificate hash to be recognized.  It should not halt any running VMs.

jscooper22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ronald_HOI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

am trying to renew machine cert. but i got an error. "Unexpected error occurred while renewing certificates".

Machine cert has still have couple weeks before it expires

0 Kudos