VMware Cloud Community
TRiNetIntl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The vSphere 8 Essentials does not Include Vm Encryption

We are trying to encrypt a couple of VMs but we keep getting the following error when trying to use the native key provider to encrypt existing VM machines in vSphere 8 Essential and using the VM Storage Policies - VM Encryption Policy. "The vSphere 8 Essential licenses for "Host" does not include "vSphere VM Encryption". Upgrade the license.
I recently viewed a video where Mike Foley and Bob Plankers mentioned that encryption was available for all levels of licenses including Essential. Obviously, I missed something or it is only for 7 or below. We ended up encrypting the servers with Bitlocker but I do not like having to enter the password if the server is rebooted and would like to be able to use the native vSphere encrypting if possible. I looked all over the place and I could not find the licensing prerequisite anywhere in the documentation. If indeed a license is needed, what license do we need to look for?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
miladmeh8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus supports VM encryption

View solution in original post

4 Replies
miladmeh8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus supports VM encryption

star_boy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your help, the problem is solved

0 Kudos
TRiNetIntl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, it is good to know. I was left under the impression that all licenses included VM Encryption but I guess I was wrong. 

0 Kudos
miladmeh8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can you please mark it as correct answer? @TRiNetIntl 

0 Kudos