VMware Cloud Community
Micke_nova
Contributor
Contributor

32-bit application on 64-bit windows

Hi!

Has anyone encounter this problem:

On our dell 1955 64bit machine's we have installed ESX 3.0.1 and on that windows 2003 standard 64 bit. This virtual machines have IIS (in 32 bit compatible mode), dot net frameworks (64 bit mode) and Active Reports (32 bit) This combination generated problems like; windows hangs, corrupted memory and nic connections problems, when we generated a report.

So how did we found that out; we did the same configuration on a physical machine (no ESX just windows) everything works fine. After that we separated Active Reports and IIS to run on a 32-bit virtual machine and Dot Net frameworks together with IIS on to a 64bit machine. WORK fine. conclusion vmware ESX tougher with Windows 64bit and 32bit application on it don't work!!!

0 Kudos
50 Replies
Jan_Dam
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

did any one find a working solution to this problem?

Regards

Jan L Dam

Regards Jan L Dam
0 Kudos
vladojko
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - we are using AMD boxes, and there is no problem! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
agrusers
Contributor
Contributor

We've sort of given up and had to move all our environemts to 32-bit again.

I did some initial tests on VmWare server beta 2 and it didn't crash, but I need to do much more testing before I can conclude that it works.

I have used both Intel and AMD boxes, SP1 and SP2, but the result is the same....crash.

0 Kudos
peacemaker1500
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we are not using SP2 for any asp.net 64 bit system

0 Kudos
Chris_McKown
Contributor
Contributor

We ended up upgrading to Biztalk Server 2006 R2 - just finished the install yesterday. (Clean from scratch)

The jury is still out yet, we are waiting on our developer to start in again working before we can measure success or failure.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks! - Chris

0 Kudos
vladojko
Contributor
Contributor

This is interesting... For some people SP1 only works, for other AMD

boxes... and for some neither. Only what we know is that problem exists, and

have no clue how to solve it.

0 Kudos
daniel345
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any solution from Vmware available to this problem? At our end we noticed that adjusting the "Data Execution Prevetion" some improvement was noticed but not to an accepted level.

0 Kudos
Kennebel
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VMWare Workstation, with an x64 Vista Host, and i am running an x64 Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 guest.

I am seeing this error with the SQL Management Studio for SQL Server 2005, and for my own application that needs to be compiled to x86 architecture (in order to access a 32 bit odbc link).

I have tried most suggestions mentioned here, but none of them are achieving stability. I have taken my application to a physical system of similar specifications, and the error never happens. (sigh) This is really causing issues.

0 Kudos
KenOsborn
Contributor
Contributor

Some encouraging preliminary findings (thanks to a SR handled by the esteemed, Jacob C., and VMware's in-house repro testing):

• 3.5 appears to be alleviating this issue

We had W2K3 Std. 64-Bit Guests on 3.0.1 running on Dual-Quad Core Intel Processors that were exhibiting the "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that

other memory is corrupt." errors -- specifically when doing reconfigs within Biztalk (or launching the Admin .msc) and when attempting to compile WCF code within Visual Studio.

During VMware's repro testing they identified that:

1. The issue didn't occur on AMD

2. The issue no longer occurred after updating to 3.5 (both 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 were impacted on Intel)

We are 2+ days into 3.5 ourselves without incident re-occurence.

0 Kudos
Kennebel
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully, they also release a fix for the workstation product. Smiley Happy Please!

0 Kudos
shahidmunshi
Contributor
Contributor

I tried on VM Workstation 6.0.2 and seems working fine...any one else can confirm this ?

0 Kudos