VMware Cloud Community
TobiasM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Expanding data disk in vmware esx server 3

Hi, I have been asked by a colleague if I can be of assistance to expand d: \ drive on an existing virtual windows 2003 server.

They use:

VMware ESX Server 3i Version 3.5.0 Build 110271

VMware Infrastructure Client Version 2.5.0 Build 119826

Is it possible to extend the disk in vSphere clienten, begin by clicking on the edit \ disk and then expand the *.wmdk file from 25GB to 40gb? After that logging into the server and extend the disk using some better disk expanding programSmiley Wink.

/T.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes this should even work with the VM powered on. After expanding the virtual disk in the GUI, connect to the Windows 2003 VM (either open the console or via an administrative RDP session) and rescan the storage in the Disk Management. Assuming the data disk has either only a single partition or is the last partition on the disk and does not have the pagefile/swapfile on it, you may even be able to extend the disk space using the diskpart command line utility.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes this should even work with the VM powered on. After expanding the virtual disk in the GUI, connect to the Windows 2003 VM (either open the console or via an administrative RDP session) and rescan the storage in the Disk Management. Assuming the data disk has either only a single partition or is the last partition on the disk and does not have the pagefile/swapfile on it, you may even be able to extend the disk space using the diskpart command line utility.

André

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi™ 4 to Virtual Machine & Guest OS

Yes, as long as the disk is SCSI and there are no snapshots on the VM. Use diskpart in Windows to grow the NTFS partition.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
TobiasM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, it went very smoothly. I came across

Dell's Extpart to expand disks that were very easy

to use ex. # extpart d: 1024

/T

0 Kudos