VMware Cloud Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

converting VMWare Server VM to ESX 3.0.2 VM

I have a customer who would like to migrate his VMware Server 1x Virtual Machines to our ESX 3.0.2 host but before he does he would like some "proof" that the migration will not cause any damages to his VM. Despite explanations, he would like to see it "for himself". He does not want to use his production VMs for this. Does anyone know where I might obtain a VMware Server VM (perhaps an appliance) that I can use to demonstrate that using VMware Converter Enterprise 3.0 "can" migrate his VMs without issues?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You can download converter, and use it in starter mode, and then convert his VM to ESX on the fly with no changes. you just point the flat file (or stand alone) to an ESX server, and it will allow you to configure it on the server with no modification to the original VM.

0 Kudos
indrajeets
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import the VMs as physical machines using VMware converter

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

sounds great.

We also have a copy of VMware Converter Enterprise 3 that we got for free with our purchase of VMware ESX 3x (Platinum Support contract).

The problem I now have is that my customer wants "validation" that the conversion will not damage his VMware Server files. ...so, he would like some Proof that it will work.....despite my explanations and documentation. He wants to "see it for himself" before he will allow me to do the conversion on his VM. Is there somewhere that I can download a VMWare Server VM to do a Conversion Run to validate the process for him?

Cal

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

I use Converter, and I always set the VM to not auto-power on after conversion. I then set the network adapter(s) to not connect at power on and start the VM. I like to see everything come up nicely and then go from there. Not sure if your customer would be willing to take this approach, but thought I would throw it out there.

With that being said, you can get a copy of Windows Server 2003 R2 that will work with Server here:

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/649

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
indrajeets
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can tell your customer to forget about virtual environment and tell them to treat the power on VMs as physical machines, later import them as physical machines. I have got similar instance in past Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

He's a bit of an Oddity......he probably won't accept it. Even recommending that he backup the file is not a satisfactory suggestion ....he doesn't want to be "inconvenienced".....do you have customers like this one? It's not worth the argument on our side.....if we can find a demo VM and convert it.....it'll keep any personal issues off the table.

0 Kudos
gjnieuwenhuis
Contributor
Contributor

Besides suggesting the good man to either get some rest and/or therapy, the only trick I would come up with (if he insists on not powering off the vm) is to create a snapshot of the vm and then to make a backup of the main file (so not the delta file). After the copy, you can commit the changes (delete snapshot).

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Does anyone know where I might obtain a VMware Server VM (perhaps an appliance) that I can use to demonstrate that using VMware Converter Enterprise 3.0 "can" migrate his VMs without issues?

OR just give this guy a link to this site. There are what, 1 million customers using VM Ware server today? Umm.. Gee, maybe we are all idiots, what does this guy think VM Ware just started yesterday?

He must have VM Ware confused with Windows 2008 Hypervisor.

There are only about a few hundred thousand VM Ware clients around the world, surely one of them is on his iPhone contact list..oh wait, he probably still has analog, my bad.

0 Kudos
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

Now that is a good thiught

Thanks

0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RParker,

You rock! And the post is very funny. Sorry, I could not help it.

Cheers,

0 Kudos