VMware Cloud Community
ChopChe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

rename VM and labels in DataStore locations

I recall in my days with vSphere 4x that I had to rename a VM once.   But, the associated vmdk/vmx, etc files and even the folder in the DataStore did not change.   However, when I performed a vStorage Migration to another datastore with the VM also migrating to a new host , when it was completed....all sync'd up.   or, that is how I recall it.

But, I am now told my my virtual coworker that renaming a VM and performing a vStorage migration along with migrating the VM to a new host WILL NOT Sync the naming and lables.  is that correct?  I'm almost positive it worked in vSphere 4.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
todddamore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was behavior that was introduced in vSphere 5. It has since been resolved in Vcenter Server 5.0 Update 2 and 5.1 Update1. See the KB article I linked below:

VMware KB: vSphere 5.x Storage vMotion does not rename virtual machine files on completing migration...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
todddamore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was behavior that was introduced in vSphere 5. It has since been resolved in Vcenter Server 5.0 Update 2 and 5.1 Update1. See the KB article I linked below:

VMware KB: vSphere 5.x Storage vMotion does not rename virtual machine files on completing migration...

0 Kudos
ChopChe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Aha....many thanks.  I was thinking I was going crazy.  Glad to see it is working again.

0 Kudos