VMware Cloud Community
dpvreno
Contributor
Contributor

using a vmdk to create a vm

I think i made a mistake and would like to know the options to fix (or to avoid for future).

Corporate IT sent me a baseline vmdk image to use for building vm's. I copied to a directory i called VMDK on one of the hosts on the cluster. I created a vm using the create using exsisting vmdk file THINKING it would make a copy of that for use in the vm's folder. This doesnt appear to be what happened. The vm's folder doesnt have any vmdk in it and when i try and use the baseline, i get a message that it is locked. I assume that that vmdk is locked to the new vm now.

Is there someway to fix this easily (i have already added software, etc to the vm -- not a large amount but enough that i don't want to configure it again).

Anyhelp with 'fixing' the first or suggestions on how to use this one vmdk for future vms would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

You could make a clone of the VM and use that as your baseline moving forward.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
JLackman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Like many things, there are several methods that could work. I think the most straightforward would be;

1) right click on the datacenter or cluster and start the New Virtual Machine wizard

2) choose "custom" on the first page

3) work through the wizard to the "select a  disk" page

4) at the right you will see 4 radio buttons and you need to select "use an existing virtual disk"

5) choose the .vmdk you have and proceed

***you need to have the .vmdk copied to a datastore prior to the wizard running

***there are other methods. this is one of them, and is pretty straightforward

If this helps, please mark this as a "correct answer"

JL

0 Kudos