VMware Cloud Community
ThomW
Contributor
Contributor

entering maintenance mode hangs

when i try and enter a host into Maintenance mode the status says In Progress but never migrates any servers to the others I have.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ThomW
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded VCenter from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2. all esx servers are 3.0.1 with the latest patches installed.

0 Kudos
chucks0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure that DRS is set to fully automatic mode.

0 Kudos
ThomW
Contributor
Contributor

thanks very much! that did the trick. I set it to manual earlier and forgot to set it back. Thanks again...that was an easy fix.

0 Kudos
ovatandas
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Even if my DRS is in fully automated mode, there is no vmotion action when I try to enter a host in to maintenance mode.

I just upgraded my systems to 3.5U2 but the problem continues.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
WinkIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There's a bug right now where HA thinks that you'll violate constraints and won't move anything. You can manually migrate everything off, or disable HA and put the host into maintenance mode. Once there are no machines on the host (if you manually migrate everything) you can place it in maintenance mode.

0 Kudos
ovatandas
Contributor
Contributor

You are right that I can do it manually and then host can enter maintenance mode.

Do you know that there will be a patch for this bug? If yes when?

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think it's fixed on VC 2.5 update 3. Does anyone know if that's true? My maintenance mode hangs @ 2%. If I manually take everything off it works fine...

0 Kudos
pomiwi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes this is definately fixed in VC Update 3... ran it myself for the exact same issue and worked a treat.

0 Kudos
ovatandas
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answers, I will try in a short time.

0 Kudos