VMware Cloud Community
filipe_dias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cloning VMs in VMware - Linked Clones vs. Full Clones

When cloning VMs in VMware, I've come across options for linked clones and full clones.

What's the difference between these cloning methods?

Are there any advantages to using one over the other, and in what scenarios should I choose each type of clone?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
flube
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found a nice text exactly about that question that you need, see if it is what you looking for:\

In VMware, there are two primary cloning methods: linked clones and full clones, each with distinct characteristics and use cases.

Linked Clones:

• Linked clones are created from a snapshot of an existing VM, sharing virtual disks with the original VM to save storage space.
  • They are space-efficient as they only store differences from the parent VM, reducing storage requirements.
  • Ideal for testing and development environments where multiple VMs need similar configurations.
  • Commonly used with VMware Horizon View for virtual desktop deployments, allowing rapid provisioning of virtual desktops.

Full Clones:

• Full clones are independent copies of the original VM, having their complete set of virtual disks.
  • They do not share any storage with the parent VM, thus consuming more storage space.
  • Suitable for production environments, critical VMs, and scenarios where VMs need complete isolation.
  • Recommended when performance and security are top priorities.

Choosing the Right Clone Type:

• Use linked clones when optimizing storage space and deploying non-critical VMs in development or testing environments.
  • Select full clones for production environments, critical VMs, or scenarios requiring complete VM isolation and performance.

In summary, linked clones are storage-efficient and suitable for non-production environments, while full clones offer isolation and performance benefits, making them ideal for production environments and mission-critical VMs. Carefully consider your specific use case and storage requirements when choosing the appropriate cloning method in VMware.

Tell me if you need anymore help! 😃

View solution in original post

1 Reply
flube
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found a nice text exactly about that question that you need, see if it is what you looking for:\

In VMware, there are two primary cloning methods: linked clones and full clones, each with distinct characteristics and use cases.

Linked Clones:

• Linked clones are created from a snapshot of an existing VM, sharing virtual disks with the original VM to save storage space.
  • They are space-efficient as they only store differences from the parent VM, reducing storage requirements.
  • Ideal for testing and development environments where multiple VMs need similar configurations.
  • Commonly used with VMware Horizon View for virtual desktop deployments, allowing rapid provisioning of virtual desktops.

Full Clones:

• Full clones are independent copies of the original VM, having their complete set of virtual disks.
  • They do not share any storage with the parent VM, thus consuming more storage space.
  • Suitable for production environments, critical VMs, and scenarios where VMs need complete isolation.
  • Recommended when performance and security are top priorities.

Choosing the Right Clone Type:

• Use linked clones when optimizing storage space and deploying non-critical VMs in development or testing environments.
  • Select full clones for production environments, critical VMs, or scenarios requiring complete VM isolation and performance.

In summary, linked clones are storage-efficient and suitable for non-production environments, while full clones offer isolation and performance benefits, making them ideal for production environments and mission-critical VMs. Carefully consider your specific use case and storage requirements when choosing the appropriate cloning method in VMware.

Tell me if you need anymore help! 😃