VMware Cloud Community
sanjaymp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vsphere 5 licensing

Hi,

I have 4 HP DL360G7 servers with 2CPU each (8 cores)? How many vsphere 5 licenses do i require per server?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vSphere licenses are per physical socket.  So, for a two socket box, you'll need two vSphere licenses.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vSphere licenses are per physical socket.  So, for a two socket box, you'll need two vSphere licenses.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In addition to the CPU licenses you may also need to "vCenter Server Standard" license to manage the hosts in a cluster! If this is the first time you purchase vSphere licenses you may take a look at the "Acceleration Kits" which might save you some money. Standard, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus Acceleration Kist include vCenter Server as well as 6 CPU licenses, so you will have to purchase two additional CPU licenses to cover your hosts. (see http://www.vmware.com/ca/en/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/compare-kits.html)

André

sanjaymp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I have 1 more query -

If i buy Vsphere Enterprise license how many sockets does it support?

0 Kudos
sanjaymp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I have 1 more query -

If i buy Vsphere Enterprise plus license how many sockets does it support?

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Both Enterprise and Enterprise Plus license is based on PER PROCESSOR .So you need to buy licesne based on number of CPU on your hardware

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
sanjaymp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Aravind. I have got 1 Enterprise plus in my organization & when i deploy it on vcenter it says 16CPU. Here i am not talking about virtual or logical CPUs.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The licenses keys for the ESXi hosts are based on physical sockets. Just vCenter Server is licensed per instance.

André

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I have got 1 Enterprise plus in my organization & when i deploy it on vcenter it says 16CPU

It means the license keys has been coded to use 16 CPU's.  You can use the same key for adding the host until u reach 16 CPU license limit

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
sanjaymp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So it does mean if i buy 1 Enterprise plus license it will support only 1 socket. I got confused now. What i am trying to explain here i have got Enterprise plus key with me. When i deployed it on vcenter server. It shows 16 CPUs & when i add 2 CPU ESXi on it After that number gets reduced to 10. So i wanted to confirm here does 1 Enterprise plus key supports 16CPU (sockets)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESXi is licensed per physical socket. These licenses can be combined in a single license key (as in your case). You can actually split and combine licenses in your My VMware portal if needed. The number of license keys is independent of the number of licenses.

André

0 Kudos