VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Accessing a different VLAN

I have a few vm's that need to be added to a seperate vlan and i'm not sure what's wrong. i have one nic from each host setup on my propcurve that is on the 10.0 vlan. I can see that the vswitch is observing the correct vlan but yet i have no connectivity. Can pind teh gateway, can't aquire an IP address from the DHCP server. If i try it with a static number still can't ping the gateway. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Perry

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How did you setup the virtual network?

If the VLAN is set on the physical switch, you should have a separate vSwitch with a single port group (without VLAN tagging) attached to the physical switch with that one NIC.

André

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i believe that is what i have. i have one nic from each host (VMnic2) connected to the procurve ports that are tagged for vlan 10 (10.50.10.0) All the vm's are connected to the Vswitch that aer observing that ip range, One thing that i'm not sure of it the observation range. When i look at the range that nic is observing it show 10.50.1.0 - 10.50.15.0. That might cause an issue since there are multiple DHCP servers on differnet vlans. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Looks like the VLAN configuration in the "physical world" is not quite correct.

André

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are there any special settings that need to be applied for the vmware world? Reason i say that is that i can connect a server or workstation to that physical port and it sees the vlan correctly. Thanks for the quick responce. i really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, I'm not too much into networking, however it looks like the VLAN is configured with a wrong subnet mask.

According to what you write, VLAN 10 should be on 10.50.10.0. Since you can see 10.50.1.0 - 10.50.15.0, I guess the subnet is set to 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0.

#interface vlan 10

#ip address 10.50.10.x 255.255.255.0

#no shut

Please ask a networking guy before doing any changes.

André

prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andre'

Just so i am clear about the setup, i hav e no VLAN setup in vmware just on the procurve switch ports. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Correct. You either configure VLAN tagging on the physical switch port and don't do anything in VMware, or you configure the physical port as a trunk port and do the VLAN tagging on the virtual Port Group.

Tagging on both sides does not work. The routing, however needs to be done on the physical network in any case.

André

0 Kudos