VMware Communities
devdept
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sharing VMs in Workstation 8

Hi All,

Before upgrading to Workstation 8, I was curious to know is the best place to put shared VMs is a desktop machine or a server machine (Win7 or Windows Server 2008 R2)?

Thanks,

Alberto

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

No, Shared VMs users will not be able to use advanced graphics on their dev machines.

I am not sure about the license part. I think, VMware workstation license requires only for the hosted operating system, not for the guested operating systems. I mean to say that you can build N number of VMs on your physical server with a single license.

~Ganesh
~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

Both are best place. There are no advantages over another.

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
devdept
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Ganesh,

Suppose I use a server machine with no graphics adapter, will shared VMs users be able to use advanced graphics on their powerful dev machines?

In a network with 3 dev and one server machine (the one with shared VMs), how many Workstation licenses do we need?

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

No, Shared VMs users will not be able to use advanced graphics on their dev machines.

I am not sure about the license part. I think, VMware workstation license requires only for the hosted operating system, not for the guested operating systems. I mean to say that you can build N number of VMs on your physical server with a single license.

~Ganesh
0 Kudos
devdept
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In this case we are not interested in upgrading, thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would not consider to use 2008 R2 as a host for Workstation 7 or 8.y

In my experience 2008 R2 is the worst choice for a host OS - if possible use Windows 2003 or XP  - or if thats not possible use Windows 7